Project to compare encoding for Apple TV

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Bog

Project to compare encoding for Apple TV

Post by Bog »

I am planning to do some comparative analysis of encoding a VOB file ripped (using MTR) from a widescreen DVD with various settings between Mediafork and Visualhub.

I'd like to also select a few different sample clips that can best illustrate the affects of bitrate. Fast action? Darkness/gradients? Anything else? Any suggestions? Can someone supply the 10-15 second source VOBs?

I intend to record the following:

File Encoder Codec Bitrate Resolution Anamorphic (Y/N) Encode Time File Size

Any thoughts? Do others think the results would be useful?
silverlode

Post by silverlode »

I don't own an appleTV but I think it would be very useful for the community at large. The more we know the better.
brianlees
Novice

Post by brianlees »

Suggestion for a "clip" to use...

My wife is a HUGE Firefly fan. As such, I am in the middle of ripping a DVD of her favorite scenes from the show and Serenity, the movie.

One scene in the movie (which many fans like me lament) is very dark and has lots of red in it. When encoding, it can sometimes lead to severe blockiness - I'm not an encoding expert, so someone else can probably explain why red always seems to be an issue.

In any event, it is the scene in Serenity where Wash (the pilot), is impailed on the bridge of the ship. I don't have the movie in front of me, so I can't tell you the chapter number or time index. When I get home, I can.
brianlees
Novice

Post by brianlees »

Bog,

Did you ever get to do the comparison? I would love to see how it went.

Brian