Changing the File Icon Image

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
blaise_p

Changing the File Icon Image

Post by blaise_p »

I'm on a roll today, this is my second question.

I just want to know if it is possible to change the image associated with a mp4 file. I believe the encoded file just uses an image from the first frame of the DVD ripped. I'd like to swap that out for something that represents the movie or show better. As I've been ripping away at my collection, I've noticed too many files have a black image next to it. I think it would be a lot better if an image from a key scene was used.

Thanks again for the help. I have used the search function, but I wasn't able to find anything on this.
-B
dynaflash
Veteran User

Re: Changing the File Icon Image

Post by dynaflash »

Well, since you don't say what platform your on, I will guess mac. The icon of the file is set by the OS, yes, we could try setting a poster frame for it (which quicktime would observe, I don't know about iTunes for the .m4v file extension) but frankly I would rather not get into that, since then it becomes a slippery slope of what frame to use, make it user choosable etc. Just change the poster frame in quicktime if you don't like the default.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

iTunes groks the correct poster frame, yes, but as this is a presentation/container issue, I rather look at it the same way I do tagging...best handled by something/someone else.

Rodney
blaise_p

Post by blaise_p »

I don't have quicktime pro. Is there another way?
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

Sure. iTunes will do the same thing.

Rodney
kalafalas

Post by kalafalas »

open is iTunes. right click movie while playing in anything but fullscreen. click "set poster frame"

but i do something much cooler, i find the dvd cover art on google, and set that as the album art work.
tvartboy

Post by tvartboy »

Hey Guys, i'm jumping in kinda late but i had the same question and found two different ways to do it but neither is perfect.

itunes lets you assign covers to mp3 and mp4 files but they are not permanent. if you move the file to another computer it doesn't keep the cover.

quicktime pro lets you assign a frame from the video but i want to assign a clean movie poster not a frame from the video and it also doesn't work with music files.

is there another way in handbrake or does any one know of a simple app on the mac that can do this?

thanks in advance.
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

Try MetaX.
tvartboy

Post by tvartboy »

thanks, that's perfect.