Is Handbrake that bad?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
drunifex

Is Handbrake that bad?

Post by drunifex »

My experience with Handbrake is that it crashes a hell of a lot. Id say about 1 in 8 disks will kill it for some reason. There does not seem to be any data on why it crashed

the program will just throw a operating system error and then die. Losing the hours of work it had already done.
Quite frustrating considering the program is very good otherwise. Does anyone else have this level of difficulty with the program.

As an example tonight i was ripping Fantastic 4 Silver Surfer. (btw I just bought the disk before you wonder if im a pirate). It died and I lost the whole night of ripping. Ive tried mac the ripper and using the directories instead of straight from disk. Ive used the command line and gui versions and they all die randomly. I wish that it would dump some sort of log.

Anyone else have this level of flakiness ?
realityking
Veteran User

Re: Is Handbrake that bad?

Post by realityking »

Actually current version due retain some sort of logging, first there's always the crash report which contains information that are valueable, second HandBrake also saves the last activity log.

This just refers to the Mac version, but I'm sure that it's true for other problems as well.

Lastly HandBrake doesn't crash randomly, it always got a reason to do so. Assuming that you use 0.9.2 I'd suggest you try a snapshot or the current development code. A lot of bugs have been fixed since the release of 0.9.2.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

realityking wrote:Assuming that you use 0.9.2 I'd suggest you try a snapshot or the current development code. A lot of bugs have been fixed since the release of 0.9.2.
realityking: but drunifex has already been given that advice, and chose to ignore it!

I think this is trolling, pure and simple.
redraiderbum
Enlightened

Post by redraiderbum »

Drunifex, it is strange that it doesn't work for you. I have tried 0.9.2 and virtually every svn update from the beginning of '07 until the middle of this summer for the GUI's and the CLI on Mac OS 10.4, 10.5, Windows XP Media Center, Windows XP Pro, Windows Vista Ultimate, Ubuntu 7.04, 7.10, 8.04, openSuse 10.2, 10.3, PClinux OS 2007, Sabayon linux, and other linux distros. Honestly, the Mac OS version is the only one where I have experienced no problems. And all the others have very very few problems at the command line if you have the line correct. I had a few problems with handbrake in Windows XP, but none so far in Vista. Even the recently developed GTK based gui in linux works great.

Just to go out on a limb, I suspect I have installed handbrake on more individual operating systems than anyone else and I have never experienced a systemic problem that is handbrake's fault. It is true there are bugs as in every software. If you are having a problem post all of your info in one of the support forums and some one will try to help you I'm sure. You realize right that the dev's do a ton of work and aren't asking you to pay for it at all?
drunifex

Post by drunifex »

DELETED
Last edited by drunifex on Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
drunifex

Post by drunifex »

jbrjake wrote:
realityking wrote:Assuming that you use 0.9.2 I'd suggest you try a snapshot or the current development code. A lot of bugs have been fixed since the release of 0.9.2.
realityking: but drunifex has already been given that advice, and chose to ignore it!

I think this is trolling, pure and simple.

Whats your problem.
Last edited by drunifex on Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
drunifex

Post by drunifex »

realityking wrote:Actually current version due retain some sort of logging, first there's always the crash report which contains information that are valueable, second HandBrake also saves the last activity log.

This just refers to the Mac version, but I'm sure that it's true for other problems as well.

Lastly HandBrake doesn't crash randomly, it always got a reason to do so. Assuming that you use 0.9.2 I'd suggest you try a snapshot or the current development code. A lot of bugs have been fixed since the release of 0.9.2.

I understand that there is always a reason (I am a Software Developer). However, from an external observer it appears to be random. Looking at a lot of the crashes it seems that the Disks are badly programmed and have non standard elements which handbrake crashes on. However, I wanted to know if people have the same order of problems that I do. I use this program on two completely different macs and the crashes happen on both. I posted on a previous thread but got some idiot being a pain so stopped reading the thread.

I haven't seen the log dumped anywhere? Is that in the configuration directory ?
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

This is getting too Trollish...

1. If you have a SPECIFIC issue, then post about it (as long as you are following the rules).
2. Since you are a "developer" stop [Censored], and contribute some relevant information...or code even.
3. >goto 1

<Locking>
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

drunifex wrote:I posted on a previous thread but got some idiot being a pain so stopped reading the thread.
Other way around: You "got some idiot [me] being a pain" because you weren't reading the thread. The answer was there before you even registered on the forum, let alone posted.