Aspect Ration

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
uknick

Aspect Ration

Post by uknick »

sorry to be dim.... but can someone please tell me simply how to get a DVD rip to go widescreen on standard 16:9 widescreen TV. I am ripping my DVD collection for Apple TV and would like to fill the screen not have an anamophic picture. Sure this has been asked before but I cant find a simple answer!!

Cheers

Nick
rhester
Veteran User

Re: Aspect Ration

Post by rhester »

Anamorphic has nothing to do with widescreen. If you use HandBrake to rip widescreen content, it will play back on your television as widescreen unless your television is misconfigured. (You'll want to look for an option like "wide" or "full" instead of "normal" on some televisions.)

Rodney
uknick

Post by uknick »

OK so now I am confused.... If I put a DVD in my DVD player and press play it plays in full screen on my 42" plasma. If I put in my PC and play through for example WMP it plays in anamorphic widescreen. If I rip using Handbrake it rips in widescreen (two black bars) I would like to rip my DVD collection and store and play on my Apple TV - and I would like this to by defaullt play in full screen - as is the content offered in itunes.

I am really struggling here - I'm sure it's just me but there must be an easy way of doing this without stretching on the TV??

Any help much apppreciated....

Nick
peterjcat
Novice

Post by peterjcat »

If the shape of the movie is different from the shape of your TV (eg your TV is 16:9, the movie is 2.4:1) then of course there is no way to fill the screen with the movie unless you stretch it or crop it. If you absolutely insist on mangling the movie to fit your TV screen, you can either (1) rip it normally, then use your TV to zoom in on the movie or (2) crop the left and right of the image while you're ripping.