HandBrake Development Snapshot Build 3

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: HandBrake Development Snapshot Build 2

Post by jbrjake »

Snapshot 2 is out now, see updated change set in the top post of this thread.
lone_tree
Experienced

Post by lone_tree »

My about menu on Snapshot Build 2 says: svn1477 (2008053101)
The about menu on the latest SVN build (svn 1488) says: svn1475 (2008060201)

The date shows newer in the SVN build (if the number is parenthesis is a date), but the svn number is different. Stupid question, but I was just wondering why.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

svn [build]([builddate][0 = stable 1= unstable])
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

sr55 wrote:svn [build]([builddate][0 = stable 1= unstable])
I think he is asking why SVN 1488 reports as svn 1475
lone_tree
Experienced

Post by lone_tree »

Cavalicious wrote:I think he is asking why SVN 1488 reports as svn 1475
Yes, sorry it wasn't very clear. I'm assuming it's the newer build because of the date reported. Good to know that the 0/1 means stable/unstable.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Well how are you building from the SVN code? I'm guessing you're ignoring the instructions, and using jam without configuring.
texasranger

Post by texasranger »

I'm not very "savvy" with methods of DVD encoding, but I like to live life on the edge and I went ahead and tried the new development build snapshot 2 on the Mac GUI. First off, the new audio interface is really neat. It's great that you're extending the number of tracks from 2 to 4. I scanned my VIDEO_TS folders of The Golden Compass, and American Gangster, and they scanned fine. They have only English language tracks. When I scanned my disk image of the DVD Juno, which has English, French, and I think Spanish audio tracks, It went to title 7 of 22, and it abruptly quit on me. This may be a problem with scanning disk images, or scanning foreign audio tracks–I don't know which. You experts may find something useful in here, or may not. Well, thanks for listening. I can't wait till the official release of 0.9.3!
qwerty123

Post by qwerty123 »

Hi,
Been away for a while so be kind... On my new clean-install iMac I decided to keep my custom (non-Apple) applications in ~/Applications. So VLC wasn't found; How about a more exhaustive search or allow selection of location?

Also, I pressed on and scanned anyway. Results were er, slow, with no apparent progress, the log filling and no cancel button. I guess many naive users will fall into this trap with 0.9.3 and [Censored] that something doesn't work and fill your days with annoying posts like this one. :-)

Cheers
Dave
tronic72

Post by tronic72 »

OK.

I'm a Mac admin but I also play with Windows Machines.

Have just put together a machine with the following specs:
Bliss 500W Power Supply
XFX 630i Board
Intel Q6600
2 x 2 800 Mhz RAM
1 x 80 GB SATA HD
1 x IDE CD/RW
1 x IDE DVD/RW
Vista Business 64 Bit

I downloaded the current build of HandBrake, installed first disk and it said that there wasn't anything on it (or words to that effect), second disc it just sat there waiting for over five minutes saying " the CLI is reading your disk...up to one minute".

Quit the Program after ten minutes. Not a good test. :(

Happy to test any Windows Versions but am using Vista 64 bits OS
Maximized

Post by Maximized »

Okay, so this build got rid of the divide by zero errors I continuously got when converting some DVD's. A new problem arised:

When converting Las Vegas DVD's, the outputted .m4v files are corrupt. The sound is fine, but the video is really bad (not continuous playback, shattered images, etc). I used the h.264 codec to convert the DVD. The original DVD plays fine!

Secondly, some suggestions:

[*]How about a way to save queues? Should Handbrake end (to soon), it should be possible to continue right where it ended. Filewise or queuewise. I've had it a couple of times now that I was converting a large file (LOTR movie, for instance) and that the PC shutted down by the magical hand of a person not being me. The file was at 90% or so, but it can't continue!
[*]Long shot, but clustered encoding would be awesome. Install handbrake on a couple of Mac's and you got a movie converted in a matter of minutes.

Gotta continue testing this baby, and let you guys know if anything else pops up.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

Maximized wrote:[*]Long shot, but clustered encoding would be awesome. Install handbrake on a couple of Mac's and you got a movie converted in a matter of minutes.
Already discussed, not practical to implement. If anyone disagrees, they are welcome to submit a patch. =)

Rodney
haifischjunge

Post by haifischjunge »

it seems like in the snapshot the produced files loose iphone/ipod touch compatibilty if 2pass encoding is enabled.

edit: apologies, seems like I was following an outdated guide.
Taddeusz

Post by Taddeusz »

Well, I've been away from Handbrake for a while. Mostly because it got a bit rough with poorly mastered DVD's such as Mallrats and would not detelecine them correctly. I haven't tried Mallrats again but what I see so far is positive. I like how mkv output has been fixed.

But, still no DTS pass-through?

But messing around with build 2 right now. I'll report if I see anything amiss.
withinavoid

Post by withinavoid »

Found a small bug with snapshot build 2 that causes crash. When you do a xvid encode and select subtitles or autoselect it crashes when you try to encode, however h264 and subtitles works fine. I can reproduce this crash anytime.

Mac OSX 10.5.4, Xvid, DVD - The Departed
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Already been fixed.
withinavoid

Post by withinavoid »

Checked out latest SVN 1571 and confirm the xvid with subtitles is fixed. Thanks.
Taddeusz

Post by Taddeusz »

Not sure what version of x264 is being used with Handbrake but is there any way to use AQ settings?
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Taddeusz wrote:Not sure what version of x264 is being used with Handbrake but is there any way to use AQ settings?
Snapshot 2 used r828-ee95c7f and in the SVN HandBrake is using x264 r912-9c5e557. Both include VAQ, it's on by default, and you can tweak it the same way you would any other x264 options.
Taddeusz

Post by Taddeusz »

I've noticed that when creating mkv files with the original ac3 audio it ends up dropping out every few seconds or so. Running the resulting file through mkvmerge corrects it.
Taddeusz

Post by Taddeusz »

Ok, this is something that made me stop using Handbrake and switch to a different program. Handbrake still doesn't seem to reverse telecine video properly. This is most noticeable as judder in video that is panning horizontally. I can create some sample files if you'd like.

I love how easy Handbrake is to use but technical glitches like this are show stoppers.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Taddeusz wrote:Ok, this is something that made me stop using Handbrake and switch to a different program. Handbrake still doesn't seem to reverse telecine video properly. This is most noticeable as judder in video that is panning horizontally. I can create some sample files if you'd like.

I love how easy Handbrake is to use but technical glitches like this are show stoppers.
Excuse me, but you're using a development snapshot. I warn right in the top post that you should expect technical glitches:

Be warned. This code is not ready for civilian use. While most of 0.9.2's bugs have been squashed, they have no doubt been succeeded by a newer, haler generation of arthropodic adversaries. It could easily crash on you. It could produce bad output. Some things might not work right. There are all sorts of new things, and there is no documentation for any of them.

If you do not fear living on the bleeding edge, and do not demand stability from your software, download a development snapshot of HandBrake now.

Furthermore, there's a big red box in front of your eyes telling you:

Forum rules
Must Read: How To Get Questions Answered on These Forums All users expecting support must provide an Activity Log. See post for details.

The IVTC stuff is my baby, and I'd be more than willing to help improve it if it really isn't working for you. But if all you're going to do is whine like this, well, you get what you pay for.

The right way to approach a bug in the snapshot is to post in the Bugs forum with an activity log and links to these sample files you mention. Not mouthing off in the announcement thread, providing zero actionable info, and going off in a huff to use some other app.

I mean, at the top of the page you downloaded the snapshot from, it tells you:

Found a bug?: Please post in the "bugs" section of the forum with "[SVN 1477]" in the subject line.
Please provide an Activity Log and a Crash Log (If one is available) .
These are required in order to debug problems. Any post without these will be locked.
Taddeusz

Post by Taddeusz »

I'm sorry if I came off as whining. When I get home from work I will provide the necessary information. I'll also post links to some test clips showing the differences I refer to.

I realize the development builds aren't ready for prime time. That's why I'm testing it out. I'm just relaying my observations. I suppose I'm also used to a more informal support forum. I didn't mean to offend.
PieGroe

Post by PieGroe »

It has been awhile since Snapshot Build 2 was made available, and I was wondering if there were anything thoughts of putting a Build 3 out there that all of the developers feel good about letting use play with at our own risk to get a sense of where your hard work is taking us all. We are so lucky to have all of you working on this program, if nothing else thanks for all that you do for us.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

There's been discussion of another snapshot build for a couple of weeks now, I think the devs are waiting on some of the recent code submissions to stabilise beforehand.
lobotomist

Post by lobotomist »

Snapshot 3 should be delayed until there's a built in activity log forum posting function ... !

:?

No really ... I'm serious ... !!