Presets

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Freis968

Presets

Post by Freis968 »

Are the presets the absolute BEST encoding that can be done currently with that particular device, say in my case the AppleTV? Or have some of you tweaked that preset even more to get as close of a copy to the source as possible? I guess what I am trying to say if I am unclear is...I want to rip all of my DVDs for playback on the AppleTV, so can I be safe in relying on the AppleTV preset to give me as true of a representation as is currently possible to mirror the DVD I am ripping?
nightstrm
Veteran User

Re: Presets

Post by nightstrm »

The presets are safe for general use for the device named. Of course you can get better, but you have to be willing to do some experimenting.
Freis968

Post by Freis968 »

Thank you for the reply nightstrm,

I notice however when using the AppleTV preset that my movies are getting cropped. Rollerball for instance, the 70's movie, had some cropping to it most notably on the sides more so than the top and bottom. I read in the best settings thread that one person set the preset of cropping in the PIcture Settings from 2,2,0,0 to all 0,0,0,0. I figured I would give that a try. I want the movie to be a mirror image of the DVD...that is what I am attempting to do in terms of Aspect Ratio. Here is that I have for Picture settings:

Source - 720x480
Output - 720x480
Anamorphic - 640x480 Strict

Should this keep Rollerball from being cropped?

I am referencing the ripped version of Rollerball on my AppleTV to my original DVD as played on my PS3...BD/DVD Conversion set to Normal. I am also viewing on a Hitachi 51" HDTV 1080i via composite cables.
dbendixen
Enlightened

Post by dbendixen »

Sounds like you have a full-screen version of the movie. Those settings you showed should NOT crop the film. However if it's a WS version then yes, you have cropping going on.
Freis968

Post by Freis968 »

The full screen version and the widescreen version of the movie is on the same disc...it is one of those flip over disc DVDs if you know what I mean.

I have it on the widescreen version of the disc, so there is cropping going on, why I don't know...any ideas?
dbendixen
Enlightened

Post by dbendixen »

Freis968 wrote:The full screen version and the widescreen version of the movie is on the same disc...it is one of those flip over disc DVDs if you know what I mean.

I have it on the widescreen version of the disc, so there is cropping going on, why I don't know...any ideas?
When you open up the picture settings what does it look like? What does it tell you it's autocropping the film to? If possible snag a screenshot and show us what's going on.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

I'd like to see that too... In my experience, I've never seen Handbrake overcrop before. I've seen it get a little muddled on mixed full-frame/letterbox material, but it errs on the side of caution.
Freis968

Post by Freis968 »

I will take pics of it showing on my TV...that is where you see it when I compare the Handbrake vs the DVD. Give me a chance to get the pics this weekend and I will post them.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

I'd make really sure it's not a TV or player device configuration problem first. Does the 'overcrop' show up the same way in VLC?

Rodney
Freis968

Post by Freis968 »

Well, all of my widescreen movies show up just fine in widescreen. Rollerball as I said shows up as a very small video inside the TV.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

Can we see an activity log of a 'problem' video?

Rodney