When to use Detelecine

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
mikecool493

When to use Detelecine

Post by mikecool493 »

I have read the HandBrake manual (specifically this link: http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/Telecine) and I understand what 3:2 pulldown is, but what I am wondering is... is there an easy way to know when to use this feature or not? You can easily see when a movie/TV show is interlaced, for example, but what should I look for when trying to see if a movie needs to be detelecined or not?

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but since TV shows are not shot at 24fps (right?) I should only have to worry about this for movies?

Thank you ;)
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: When to use Detelecine

Post by jbrjake »

Animated GIFs aren't enough for you?
mikecool493

Post by mikecool493 »

So, if the video looks like this, I should have detelecined it? I would imagine it would be hard to differentiate that from interlacing...
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

I just use VFR all the time, and some non-committed secret sauce to pick up any leftovers. 8)
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

mikecool493 wrote:I would imagine it would be hard to differentiate that from interlacing...
No...it's easy. All frames interlaced? It's interlaced. 2 of every 5 interlaced? It's hard telecined. Just step through a short sample in QuickTime.
mikecool493

Post by mikecool493 »

Ah ha!

That makes sense. Maybe somewhere on the HandBrake manual you should just write that. ;)

Thanks for the info.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

mikecool493 wrote:Maybe somewhere on the HandBrake manual you should just write that.
W.
T.
F.

It *is* up there.

It's directly under the animated GIF I painstakingly assembled in ImageReady from manual frame-by-frame snapshots to visually demonstrate the concept to you people.
The documentation you ignored wrote:http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/7594/telecineib3.gif

Note that this means the first frame and the final two frames are still made of matched, progressive fields. But the fields in second and third frames are mismatched. This means interlacing will be obvious. When you watch hard telecined video, you can see interlacing on 2 frames out of every 5. This pattern of 3 progressive frames and 2 interlaced frames is echoed in another name for this process: 3:2 pulldown.

If you see this pattern looking at the source, or if you see this pattern after encoding your source with HandBrake while using a frame speed of 29.97fps without deinterlacing, you have hard telecined material. It's a prime candidate for inverse telecine and variable frame rate encoding.
And you wonder, mikecool493, why I'm "mean and moody" and "treat less-informed users like idiots" ?
Wetnap

Post by Wetnap »

jbrjake wrote:
mikecool493 wrote:I would imagine it would be hard to differentiate that from interlacing...
No...it's easy. All frames interlaced? It's interlaced. 2 of every 5 interlaced? It's hard telecined. Just step through a short sample in QuickTime.
is there another program besides quicktime that can step frames?
nm it seems media player classic can
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

mplayer can step frames as well.

Rodney
leftkidney

Post by leftkidney »

why cant I see this screen on Handbrake

it does say this is from the old ver but I cant find this at all

http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/DeinterlacingGuide

yea I am using the windows ver since I only have a Mac Mini but I have a quad core windows computer, which I would like to use since it goes like 100 times faster
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Because the picture settings screen is not available on the Windows version, sorry.
leftkidney

Post by leftkidney »

TedJ wrote:Because the picture settings screen is not available on the Windows version, sorry.

oh really

then maybe someone should mention this on that page

yea I know I can tell it is from OSX because of the screen shot, but still it should be noted

also since powerfull PC's are way cheepre than powerfull macs (the mac pro) then maybe the windows ver should have the same options
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

This limitation is due to the fact that the Windows version is a GUI wrapper for the Handbrake command line executable, rather than tying directly into libhb like the Mac and linux versions. Live preview (via VLC) is planned for a future release.
leftkidney

Post by leftkidney »

thats awesome to here