Interlaced / Telecined "Database"

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
icaruscollapse

Interlaced / Telecined "Database"

Post by icaruscollapse »

Maybe this should go in the Ponies forum, but I'm not sure this is something that the developers really need to coordinate.

With all this talk of Detelecining, and VFR, and everything going on these days, is there some sort of database that has information on DVDs out there, and whether they're progressive, telecined, interlaced, etc? If not, is there an interest in one?

Hell, if people would submit the information to me, I'd even put it together and mantain it...

So, interested, or not?
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: Interlaced / Telecined "Database"

Post by jbrjake »

Uh yeah...good luck with this.

Most people are too lazy and willfully ignorant to bother figuring it out. How are you going to verify what people say? Otherwise you're going to end up with a lot of hard telecined titles misrepresented as interlaced and a lot of mixed content misrepresented as progressive. Plus most people are so unobservant that they don't notice when stuff like opening credits has been decimated down to 24fps.

Farscape: Mixed
Buffy: Mixed
Angel: Mixed
Firefly: Mostly progressive but still mixed because of how the CGI was edited in
Kids in the Hall: Mixed
Strangers With Candy: Mostly interlaced but still mixed
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: Mostly hard telecined but mixed
Fooly Cooly: Mostly hard-telecined but mixed
Earth to the Moon: Heavily mixed
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Criterion Edition: Mostly progressive but mixed because of the Criterion logo and some bad editing at chapter boundaries
Dazed and Confused Criterion Edition: Mostly progressive but mixed because of the Criterion logo
Futurama: Mostly progressive but still mixed
Adventures of Brisco County Jr: Mostly progressive but mixed because of the opening credits

Hell, it's hard for *me* to find a good way to classify these titles, and I've been using them constantly during the development of HandBrake's deinterlacing and detelecining features, since the end of last summer. I really don't think most users are going to give you good information, and without having the disc in hand you can't verify. The database is only as useful as it is correct.

IMO you're better off just waiting for HB to get auto-filtering to handle this mess internally without bothering the user.
icaruscollapse

Post by icaruscollapse »

Auto-filtering is coming next release, right?

I suppose that might be the better route to take. Will it be able to handle mixed content, and deinterlace/telecine where necessary, but keep progressive content untouched?
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

icaruscollapse wrote:Auto-filtering is coming next release, right?
In some form, althought hopefully it will improve more with time.
I suppose that might be the better route to take. Will it be able to handle mixed content, and deinterlace/telecine where necessary, but keep progressive content untouched?
Yeah, that's how it'll work in theory. Detelecine runs all the time and weaves when it a 3:2 pattern. Then comb detection runs, checking what it gets from detelecine for any unmatched fields or interlaced content left behind, and when it finds that, it runs the deinterlacer on just those frames. Of course, in practice the comb detection misses a bit of interlacing and deinterlaces some frames it shouldn't, so that's where the improvements will lie.