Optimal settings for view on a macbook

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
vic867

Optimal settings for view on a macbook

Post by vic867 »

I would like to know what would be the optimal settings to use to view my movies on my macbook.

When I rip my movies the settings are optimal for iPods, I want to have the settings for view only on my macbook. By the way size of the file is not an issue.

Thanks,

Victor :)
bhaal

Post by bhaal »

Well if size doesn't matter go for anamorphic video (set to open with vlc), h.264 codec, about 2000 kbps video rate and you should get something that is pretty much indistinguishable from the DVD.
Leo
Bright Spark User

Post by Leo »

How about:

-x264 --crf -q 0.7 -p -B 192

The -p part leaves it as anamorphic, which keeps all the lines of the DVD, without bloating it with extra columns.

You could also reduce the -q to 0.65 and it still looks good and is lots smaller. CRF and q 0.7 (or 70% in a GUI) will vary the bitrate as it need it to look great. You can easily end up with somehing that is two thirds of the size of the DVD itself though. If you find it too big, try CRF -q 0.65 [65%] or -q 0.6 [60%]. Of course something like 0.63 is fine too.
bizzyb0t

Post by bizzyb0t »

Leo wrote:How about:

-x264 --crf -q 0.7 -p -B 192

The -p part leaves it as anamorphic, which keeps all the lines of the DVD, without bloating it with extra columns.

You could also reduce the -q to 0.65 and it still looks good and is lots smaller. CRF and q 0.7 (or 70% in a GUI) will vary the bitrate as it need it to look great. You can easily end up with somehing that is two thirds of the size of the DVD itself though. If you find it too big, try CRF -q 0.65 [65%] or -q 0.6 [60%]. Of course something like 0.63 is fine too.
Being the technical n00b that I am... I don't understand that. However, could you (or anyone) please translate that to laymen's terms? Something tells me that the above is something I'm interested in.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Go to the preferences. Check the CRF checkbox.

Go to Picture Settings. Click the Anamorphic check box.

Go to the main window. Click the constant quality radio button and move the slider to 70%.