Why not support mkv and avi as input format?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
petvas
Experienced

Why not support mkv and avi as input format?

Post by petvas »

I find Handbrake a great program but as time passes by, DVDs play a less significant role in my movies collection. I have many mkv and avi files which I would like to convert to mp4 for my AppleTV.. Currently my only option to do that is Visual Hub.
Are there any plans whatsoever to support the above formats as input? If not, could someone please explain to me why? Thanks in advance!
dynaflash
Veteran User

Re: Why not support mkv and avi as input format?

Post by dynaflash »

petvas wrote: If not, could someone please explain to me why? Thanks in advance!
Simple. Like all things in OSS software, a developer with the knowledge, fortitude and time to do it. It is no small task to be sure. In fact it is a massive undertaking. The closest thing so far is HandBrakes Transport and Program Stream support (which I might add is awesome if you have an eyetv or like device). No point in asking for it as I *think* I can speak for all of the dev's when I say it would be tops on our list of things we'd love to see in HB. <nudges superdump> ;)
petvas
Experienced

Post by petvas »

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll have to stick with Visual Hub for the moment. I hope that Handbrake will offer this feature sometime in the future.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

petvas wrote:I hope that Handbrake will offer this feature sometime in the future.
Trust me. Your not the only one. :)
petvas
Experienced

Post by petvas »

That's good to know! :)