HELP....newby. 9 hours?!

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Blackbloke

HELP....newby. 9 hours?!

Post by Blackbloke »

Hi, this is a new world for me and I am not sure I am doing it right? I put a 40min program off of my DVD through Handbrake 0.9.1 to convert to Mpeg 4 for my itouch. It took 9.5 hours!! :shock: what am I doing wrong. :oops: :cry: Or is this right? Thanking anyone who can help in advance!! :? :(
------------------------------------------------
MAC Powerbook G4, Mem: 512kb, 80gb HD, OS X 10.4.11, 1.67Ghz, bus speed 167MHz, [Censored] DVD-R UJ-845E, x8, AGP Graphics
Compression ap: Handbrake 0.9.1
Burning ap: MTR: V2.6.6?
Media: DVD
dynaflash
Veteran User

Re: HELP....newby. 9 hours?!

Post by dynaflash »

Blackbloke wrote:Hi, this is a new world for me and I am not sure I am doing it right? I put a 40min program off of my DVD through Handbrake 0.9.1 to convert to Mpeg 4 for my itouch. It took 9.5 hours!!
How did the movie from HandBrake turn out ?
Blackbloke wrote: what am I doing wrong. :oops: :cry: Or is this right? Thanking anyone who can help in advance!! :? :(
------------------------------------------------
MAC Powerbook G4, Mem: 512kb, 80gb HD, OS X 10.4.11, 1.67Ghz, bus speed 167MHz, [Censored] DVD-R UJ-845E, x8, AGP Graphics
Compression ap: Handbrake 0.9.1
Burning ap: MTR: V2.6.6?
Media: DVD
It is entirely possible that a G4 Powerbook could take that long depending on settings. I will just guess that you used the iPhone/ iPod Touch preset since you do not give us your settings here. Not surprising at all. As a previous PB G4 user I can verify that 9.5 hours using the x264 encoder is not unrealistic in the slightest. The PB G4 is definitely the lower limit equipment wise for doing any kind of intense video encoding, to be sure.

BTW, thanks for at least giving us your equipment specs, saved a couple of questions from us to give you your answer (though next time it will help if you give us your settings as well, if you use a preset just tell us which preset). :)
Blackbloke

Post by Blackbloke »

Excuse the language......Bloody marvellous!!! looks really good. But I have 12x40mins I want to convert, and at x9 hours each??? :( surely this cannot be true be what I am faced with??? :shock:
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Blackbloke wrote:Excuse the language......Bloody marvellous!!! looks really good.
Good, glad you liked it.
Blackbloke wrote:But I have 12x40mins I want to convert, and at x9 hours each??? :( surely this cannot be true be what I am faced with??? :shock:
Well, it is if you want to maintain that quality using your machine, unfortunately. You still have not told us what preset or settings your using.

The ffmpeg encoder is much faster than x264, but to get near the quality visually you will get a much larger file. You could try that.
Blackbloke

Post by Blackbloke »

Hi dynaflash, Sorry didnt put settings on last time hope this is what you need to see: ENCODER x264 (h.264 main), BITRATE: 1500, CODEC: mpeg4 video, 2 pass, turbo pass, FPS: same as source.

What is a ffpeg you mention please? is this another setting in the ENCODER box? :?

Thanks so much
royone
Enlightened

Post by royone »

Blackbloke wrote:What is a ffpeg you mention please? is this another setting in the ENCODER box?
Yes, choose "Mpeg 4" instead of "H264".
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

easiest way to show it is to click the "Classic" preset. You will see the Format, Codecs, and encoder required for ffmeg. For a long time this was the HB default (sad to say but back when the pb g4 was new) likely due to its faster encoding speed.