How best to deinterlace a source that has both progressive and interlaced content?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Calan

How best to deinterlace a source that has both progressive and interlaced content?

Post by Calan »

For a pure progressive source, I turn off the 'interlace detection' and 'interlace' filters for best speed and to avoid accidental de-interlace.

For a pure interlaced source, after much research, I started setting 'interlace detection' to off, 'deinterlace' to yadif-bob, and setting framerate to constant and double the source's frame rate.

For mixed, I'm not sure what's best.

I've only come across mixed a few times (e.g., some of the transition animations for some of the earlier seasons of big bang theory are interlaced), and I just did them as I would a pure progressive source and easily ignore the few short interlaced segments. But I have a dvd of an old italian film where there's a good bit of interlace content, and it's just too jarring to leave it interlaced.

For now, I've set 'interlace detection' to on and 'deinterlace' to decomb; but that leaves the frame rate as original, and I get the feeling that means the second frame of the interlaced content is simply being dropped. I wonder if it might be better to use my usual yadif-bob with double the frame rate, but I wonder what that means for the progressive portions - are they simply duplicated? If so, is that a problem?

I'm hoping this isn't a silly question.
Calan

Re: How best to deinterlace a source that has both progressive and interlaced content?

Post by Calan »

Just realised I misused 'frame' and should've said 'field', when I said 'means the second frame ... is being dropped'.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: How best to deinterlace a source that has both progressive and interlaced content?

Post by Woodstock »

Set frame rate "Variable" and "Same as source".
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Generally, if you don't have a playback device that requires constant framerate, it's best to just leave the framerate set to variable "same as source". When using bob deinterlacing, you won't have to be concerned with matching the output framerate to twice the input framerate.

Additionally, it makes dealing with mixed interlaced/progressive content easier. You can enable interlace detection plus bob deinterlacing and only the interlaced frames will be deinterlaced at double the source framerate.

Interlace detection is fast enough and has almost zero false positives, so I generally just leave it enabled for content that is often interlaced, I.e. DVD and broadcast captures.