PC Restarting

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
LordFuddle

PC Restarting

Post by LordFuddle »

Hi, I have just replaced my graphics card with the AMD RX6800XT.

Using the same settings as I have for a few years, since the card change my PC restarts when using handbrake a little into the encoding.
Tried messing with the settings and it seems to be when I select same a source and constant framerate that it happens. If I just use the pre-sets all seems fine.

Having done much reading I am of the impression these are the better settings to use. Is anyone else having similar issues. I also have a laptop with an Nvidia graphics card where this isn't a problem.

All drivers are up to date and using the latest version of handbrake and I am using windows 10

Yes I know I could just use the laptop, but would prefer to get it working on my main PC

Thanks for any help or advice.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: PC Restarting

Post by Woodstock »

Have you checked your CPU cooling? Handbrake is GOING to run it at maximum speed. If your cooling isn't up to that, the motherboard will shut things down in most cases.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Cooling or power are the most common culprits.
DrXenos
Bright Spark User

Post by DrXenos »

mduell wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:27 am Cooling or power are the most common culprits.
Yup. I'd run something like CPUID HWMonitor while transcoding, which can collect history temps, power, etc.
wyliec2

Post by wyliec2 »

A few thoughts:
- Was your prior GPU Nvidia? Do you have presets with Nvidia-specific settings?
- Have you checked Event Viewer to see if anything logged there prior to restart?
- Does your new GPU use more power than prior one? Can PSU handle new load?
- Any overclocking? I overclock and Handbrake is my ultimate stability test. I've run Aida64 overnight and various Cinebench cycles without a crash but then run HB for a few hours and get a crash.

I frequently monitor with Aida64 to observe CPU % utilization, power, heat, etc. as a graph and with Min/Max/Avg statistics....
LordFuddle

Post by LordFuddle »

Hi thanks for the replies, everything with the PC is the same except the graphics card. Cooling is by a 280mm AIO. Previous card was indeed a Nvidea card, when I changed the card I did a new windows install so no setting could have been carried over. I’m guessing it could be power supply although I did do an online check and I wasn’t close. I have the Corsair SSF 750 platinum. I’m guessing there is no reason that handbrake shouldn’t run with AMD card. Also am I correct by saying that constant frame rate and same as source is the correct way to go, are these setting harder on hardware as when I leave them as default the restart does not happen. Also no overclock on the i5 11600k.

Thanks
wyliec2

Post by wyliec2 »

To be clear - you did a fresh Windows install AND a fresh install of Handbrake and recreated any presets you're using??

What memory speed - do you have XMP enabled?

I think the Corsair SFF 750 is fairly recent model as is the 11600k. What motherboard?

Are you using AMD VCE encoding or have tried with/without it enabled?? FWIW I usually don't use GPU encoding. I do use constant frame/same as source - my content is sourced from DVD, BD and some 4K and don't want any alteration. I have seen differing suggestions, but what I'm doing works for me.

If you have any monitoring tools, it would be helpful to see CPU and GPU power, temperatures etc. Possibly try running some benchmark/stability test processes - 3d Mark, Cinebench, Aida64 just to see if you can duplicate the crash. OTOH, Handbrake is my ultimate stability test for overclocking - I've had settings that ran benchmarks for hours without problems but would crash during a several hour Handbrake session.

Also check Event Viewer for errors/warnings prior to crashing.
wyliec2

Post by wyliec2 »

Additional thoughts on troubleshooting:
- I'm assuming you've tried encoding different files (same settings) and are getting crashes?
- Have you tried different HB versions - current, previous, nightly?

If the crashes occur in all scenarios, it might be better to pose questions on a more general forum like Tom's Hardware. With newer components (11600k) it's not uncommon to find issues with certain combinations of CPU + motherboard + BIOS version, etc. until all the bugs are worked out...
LordFuddle

Post by LordFuddle »

Hi yes fresh install. Memory is Corsair dominator 3200 with XMP did lots of stability tests and had no crashes temperatures were all in check with no throttling. Did also memory tests and had no problems. I think the next thing I will try is another clean instal with nothing but drivers and handbrake to see how that goes if all is well I will start one by one installing everything else so see if it breaks and what breaks it. Yes to trying to encode different files and not all from same source. Nothing else is bugging out only handbrake. Will try and the reinstall this weekend

Thanks for all the suggestions it is easy to forget one when troubleshooting will update
LordFuddle

Post by LordFuddle »

Ok did the clean install only loaded up drivers same thing happening. So I’m pretty much stumped. I have a couple of mods I want to do which means taking the pump from the cpu so I will be reapplying thermal paste, it doesn’t seem to be overheating but you never know. The parts are a couple of weeks away so I will wait until then. Even though the memory test ran fine I even tried with one stick of ram.

Still strange as the only thing on the system that has changed is going from nvidea card to amd. Also no crashing with stress tests which is when I would expect problems if there any
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Careful on stress tests, they often don't exercise parts of the CPU HandBrake uses, i.e. AVX units. That's why we get a lot of folks who overclock complaining about crashes with HandBrake but "no other app" they use. While your not overclocking, it's still something to note that it's not an uncommon scenario.

In this case though, I'd be starting to suspect power supply. Might be worth seeing if you can borrow a full ATX one of a higher capacity to test that theory. SFF can be a little sensitive to power spikes which is certainly something an app like HB would cause. Might be tripping an under current/voltage protection. Their small size usually means smaller capacitors which can lead to this kind of thing.
LordFuddle

Post by LordFuddle »

I’ll happily try getting hold of another power supply although is the same one I was using before changing the graphics card and because I’m not using gpu for encoding it shows as no load. I guess it could be going bad though. Starting to think it will be easier just to use the laptop as it encoded the files fine as I wanted to make sure the files weren’t to blame, but I don’t like to give up 🤪
Cave Man

Post by Cave Man »

Well, this thread is timely. I've been running an i7 9900 at stock speed for 3 years now. I was doing a first encode with HB 1.4.2 after updating from 1.4.1 and my computer shut off abruptly and won't power back up. I've connected the logic board to another power supply in another case but no go - it seems completely dead. I suspect this could be coincidental but thought I'd post here for posterity. Computer has only on-board gpu (UHD630), 16 GB RAM and 2 TB SATA m2 in an In Win case and stock power supply. Running macOS 11.6 Big Sur (hackintosh).
Cave Man

Post by Cave Man »

Cave Man wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:00 pmI've been running an i7 9900...
Oops. 9700.