subtitle explanation

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
drool

subtitle explanation

Post by drool »

Description of problem or question:

Normally, w/ audio,

Selection Behavior: First Matching Selected Language (English, in my case)
use first as template. chosen: eng, fallback: aac ... which most vids are already encoded in.
i'm supposing i'm doing this right, as i want all other audio tracks stripped from the recording, as i'm not bilingual. right?

W/ subtitles, i feel like i'm doing something incorrect w/ this one file. the subtitle for the file is forced (no srt file, but no "burn in"), yet a subtitle file in vlc is selectable, and then there's a english subtitle for translation to english that is burned in (no option here).

with the selection behavior, i've tried several different variations and now i feel like it's time to ask.

what is the correct selection to retain the burned in foreign -> english subtitle selection. (ie. track selection, burn in behavior, y/n add foreign scan)

but also retain the option to enable/disable subtitles ... via VLC in my case. i don't watch media in any other fashion, so compatability isn't my goal here. up until now, i was stripping the sub-titles, chapter markers and only retaining the english tracks, as i don't watch non-english films.

i hope the question is straight-forward enough: to re-state, what is the proper 'selection behavior' for subtitles, when the source has forced (i'm assuming that's the term for a sub-title selection, but no srt file) and also "burn in" translation of foreign to english?

i have to assume this question has been asked before, yet after Googling and searching the forum, i don't get explicit answers on what the choices (ie. forced, burn in ... in ref to selection behavior, default specifically mean)

if the answer is as simple as a url ref, tx ... i will bookmark it.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

N/A for this question.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

v1.2.1

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

win 10

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

N/A for this question.

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
If you are unable to do so, please state why so we can help you.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: subtitle explanation

Post by mduell »

Very much not a general question. Try again with the current release and posting an encoding log.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: subtitle explanation

Post by Woodstock »

There are many ways to author disks and videos in general.

What container for input? That can impose limitations on track codecs you have available for both audio and subtitles.

What container for output? That imposes limitations on track codecs you can pass through or that will require conversion (burning in for subtitles).

What type audio? What type subtitles? What order are they in the source? What order do you want them in the output?

If your target is MP4 files, you are limiting your ability to have "switchable" subtitles.