How do I fall back to a previous version?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
mjwebster3
New User

How do I fall back to a previous version?

Post by mjwebster3 »

Description of problem or question:
I upgraded to v 1.4.2 and it's very difficult to use. I want to fall back to v 1.3.3, which works perfectly well. I don't see previous versions on the web site's downloads page. Where can I find a the code to install version 1.3.3 on Windows ??

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
I am on 1.4.2 and it's quite incomprehensible. I have looked at the documentation and it doesn't address the problems I'm having. I want to return to 1.3.3 but the download page doesn't have it

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Windows 10

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

this is not a bug, I just want to re-install v 1.3.3  
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: How do I fall back to a previous version?

Post by Woodstock »

https://handbrake.fr click on "Other platforms". You will find a link to "Old releases", which has previous released versions.
kurt118118

Post by kurt118118 »

Hi,
I want to download it for the first time. Which file do I need to download?
Thanks.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Scroll down to where it says, "Version 1.3.3", and the file names say what each is. All the versions for Windows have "Win" in their name. If it has "GUI" in the name, it is the graphic user interface, and "CLI" indicates command line interface.
kurt118118

Post by kurt118118 »

Excuse me, but I am a complete noob at this field. I just want to convert some DVDs to mp4 for back up on my computer which runs windows 8.1.
Am I understanding correctly that I need all files, the GUI and the CLI?
Thanks, Kurt
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

You just need the GUI unless you want to do command line processing.

And if you are going to try ripping DVDs directly, you want to start with a ripper like MakeMKV to get the video off the disk, because handbrake does NOT remove encryption.
kurt118118

Post by kurt118118 »

Oh, no I don’t want to remove the encryption (that would be illegal). I just want to have a recording of the movie. I tried VLC Media Player but I couldn’t get the movie completely ( either the sound with black screen or the movie without sound.)
After reeding some online articles, mainly Chip and Giga, I found HandBrake.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

If you don't remove the encryption, then handbrake cannot process the file.

Any article saying that handbrake is a disk ripper is using information that is over a decade old, OR should include the instructions on how to use the unsupported third-party software to make it happen.

If you have software that can play encrypted DVDs, you really only need to make a disk image copy, otherwise known as an "ISO file". VLC can play DVD ISOs without issue.
kurt118118

Post by kurt118118 »

You mentioned MakeMKV. Is it a good programme? Is MakeMKV the third party software you mean?
I read that VLC can make a copy of an encrypted DVD but it didn’t work when I tried. (As I described in an earlier post)
Thanks,Kurt
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

I use MakeMKV for all disk reading. I don't even view the disks before ripping them. THEN handbrake gets to work on the MKV files.

I had used handbrake for ripping back in 2008-2009, when MakeMKV didn't handle some DVDs quite as well.

Things changed. I've been using MakeMKV multiple times per week, bought a permanent license 11 years ago.

By way of disclaimer, I was appointed a moderator over on the MakeMKV forum a few years ago, but I do not receive any compensation for doing so. I avoid pushing MakeMKV as the only solution on other forums, because it isn't. There are other options, free and subscription-based. I don't use those, but some people really like them.
pjsalon64
New User

Post by pjsalon64 »

I agree about new Handbtrake release being very confusing to use :oops: There seems to be no documentation available for all the advanced new features, chroma deblock etc settings? Handbrake 1.3.3 is much easier to use and I went back to it. There are many sites with olde apps (because never is not always better) : http://www.moreofit.com/similar-to/www. ... e_Oldapps/
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

When the official site offers the official old versions, there should be a reason to go visit some third-party site to get what might not be safe.