Converting from other formats?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
ajmas

Converting from other formats?

Post by ajmas »

If I understand rightly Handbrake uses ffmpeg to do the work. If this is indeed the case, would it be conceivable to use it to convert from other formats, than DVD, such as wmv and avi? Currently these formats are ignored.
baggss

Post by baggss »

Are you on a Mac or a PC?

If you are on a Mac, then try VisualHub. It will convert almost anything to anything video wise. Not free, but worth the $$$$.

I'm sure there are PC apps that will do the same thing.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Re: Converting from other formats?

Post by dynaflash »

ajmas wrote:If I understand rightly Handbrake uses ffmpeg to do the work. If this is indeed the case, would it be conceivable to use it to convert from other formats, than DVD, such as wmv and avi? Currently these formats are ignored.
Sure, it would be conceiveable, but not easy. We use ffmpeg as *one* of the several libraries we use to encode video. We do not currently use it to decode input. That is a whole 'nother ball game.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: Converting from other formats?

Post by jbrjake »

ajmas wrote:If I understand rightly Handbrake uses ffmpeg to do the work.
Not at all.

HandBrake uses ffmpeg for fast deinterlacing, snow encoding (for mcdeint), and one form of video encoding. That's pretty much it. We used to use it for scaling, but moved to libswscale (which grew out of ffmpeg). We used to use it for mp4 muxing, but moved to mpeg4ip.

Making HB input-agnostic is a serious, complicated endeavor that no one has taken up yet, although superdump is looking into it still I hope.
Lant
Novice

Post by Lant »

If you do want something that converts from several formats to others you'll need a transcoder (eg. mediacoder).