Getting Started

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
bcannedy
New User

Getting Started

Post by bcannedy »

I am a computer novice and I would appreciate any help in downloading a disc to my MacBook. Could someone please give me a step by step procedure on how to use Handbrake to complete this process?

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
Not sure. Just downloaded it on MacBook7/18/21

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
MacBook Catalina

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
If you are unable to do so, please state why so we can help you.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Getting Started

Post by mduell »

First step is to use software intended for that purpose, which is not Handbrake. Take a look at MakeMKV, and their support forum.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Getting Started

Post by Woodstock »

Handbrake is not intended to remove copy protection from commercial disks, so you will encounter difficulty in trying to force it into that role.

As mentioned, ripping tools like MakeMKV should be your first step in the process. Once the files are off the optical disk and on your local drive, using handbrake can be relatively simple. Getting started even has a section in the online manual.