Change aspect ratio

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
boquetipo

Change aspect ratio

Post by boquetipo »

Description of problem or question:
Hi, I have just discovered HandBrake and I really think it's a great transcoder.
After a few files without any problem, I am trying to change a video aspect ratio (704x400 to 534x400, 16:9 to 4:3 more or less).

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
"Dimensions" tab -> "Size" -> "Width" and "Height", then output says "704x400, PAR 352x267". I have no idea what PAR is, but output is the same as the original. I am not sure if HandBrake is able to change aspect ratio.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Windows 7 SP1?

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

https://pastebin.com/gUnvr8xu
Thank very much for your time, and for creating this amazing tool.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Change aspect ratio

Post by Woodstock »

Pixel Aspect Ratio, how "wide" a pixel is relative to its height. Often used to convert 720x480 DVD images to 854x480 wide-screen, rather than just cropping it to fit, and inserting letterboxing.
boquetipo

Re: Change aspect ratio

Post by boquetipo »

Woodstock wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:12 am Pixel Aspect Ratio, how "wide" a pixel is relative to its height. Often used to convert 720x480 DVD images to 854x480 wide-screen, rather than just cropping it to fit, and inserting letterboxing.
I don't know if this is a question to my answer or just and explanation about pixel aspect ratio, but I found the solution, in case anybody has the same problem:

-> Dimensions -> Anamorphic (Custom) -> Uncheck pixel aspect ratio -> Set Width and Height to your needs -> Set Display Witdth to your needs

Preview button is really helpful.

Cheers.