Newbie questions

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
jmcguckin

Newbie questions

Post by jmcguckin »

I have been ripping all my DVD and Blu-ray discs - less handling means they'll last longer...

I've noticed the file size for a Blu Ray can be quite large: 20+ gigabytes.

I want to re-encode the Blu Rays to a somewhat more manageable file size.

So, a couple of questions:

1) What format is the video on a Blu Ray disc? Is this raw data or some standard compressed format?

2) What format would you recommend that I encode to? I want great quality, but maybe half the file size.

Thanks,

Joe
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Newbie questions

Post by Woodstock »

Handbrake can handle the h.264 or h.265 video on BDs and UHDs. It cannot handle the AACS encryption.

Use a ripping tool, like MakeMKV, that understands many more formats AND encryption/copy protection schemes, then process the resulting MKV files with handbrake. How much the size comes down will depend entirely on the video source itself - high-motion or high detail, and the difference in resolution, will make the results bigger than encoded DVD rips. Anime can shrink to 10-15% of original; fast-moving action movies 50-70% is more typical.
jmcguckin

Post by jmcguckin »

Yes, ripping with MakeMKV - that's what I've been doing.

Why is it when I encode a 1080p blu ray to 1080p30fps (the H.265 MKV 1080p30 preset) the output file defaults to 1920x816. Am I losing vertical resolution or is the picture being cropped?

Can Handbrake process an entire directory of files in batch mode?

Thanks,

Joe
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

For cinematic content (~2.35:1), HB is cropping of the black bars that they matte the 16:9 frame (required for Blu-ray) with.

You can add a whole folder to the queue; it works okay.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

^^^ what he said.

Actually, the names of the presets show their limitations. Bluray is "most often" approximately 24 FPS, and handbrake normally will not change that, even if the preset says "30 FPS". You can check the video page to verify that it says "same as source', which will not add duplicate frames to force 30 FPS.

If you used the H.265 MKV 1080p30 preset on a 38400x2160 60 FPS source, handbrake would rescale it to keep it within a 1920x1080 frame, and toss out every other frame to get the FPS within the 30 FPS limit.