Is 3D encoding supported?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
krishkal

Is 3D encoding supported?

Post by krishkal »

Sorry if this has been covered before. Unfortunately, I cannot just search for the term "3D" as it is "too short". My question is simple: I have a 3D blu-ray ripped from a blu-ray DVD I own, in MKV format (using MakeMKV). This is very large (32GB), and would like to use Handbrake to get it to a file size that is more storage friendly. Is this something I can do?

Thanks.
Deleted User 11865

Re: Is 3D encoding supported?

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

No, HandBrake doesn't support 3D as encoded on Blu-ray discs.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

No, but you can get a 2D movie with HB by doing the appropriate cropping and resizing.
krishkal

Post by krishkal »

OK, thank you. I thought this was the case, but wanted to make sure. Looks like I will have to buy something like Pavtube for this. I do want to encode it as 3D SBS file. Any recommendations other than Pavtube?
krishkal

Post by krishkal »

Scratch that -- looks like Pavtube is not compatible with the latest MacOS, so that won't work either. Any other suggestions?
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

mduell wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:40 pm No, but you can get a 2D movie with HB by doing the appropriate cropping and resizing.
No cropping required for Blu-ray. Any 3D Blu-ray will come out as 2D when encoding with HandBrake, no cropping or resizing required. 3D Blu-ray is, in a way, similar to the core + extension architecture of the "HD" audio formats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2D_plus_Delta