Encoding old DVD's, problems with deinterlacing(?)

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
oRBIT2002
Experienced

Encoding old DVD's, problems with deinterlacing(?)

Post by oRBIT2002 »

I'm often struggling with encoding old tv-series NTSC DVD's from the 80/90's. I try deinterlacing and well, most of the parts looks good, but parts here and there in episodes looks bad and "Jumpy". If I change deinterlacing method, I break some parts and fix others.
I've doubled the framerate of some stuff I've encoded and it gives a nice fluid motion to things and fix all artifacts in some cases, but this still doesn't work for some stuff I try to encode.
I don't suppose there's a general way of fixing this kind of stuff? :)
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Encoding old DVD's, problems with deinterlacing(?)

Post by Woodstock »

Not really - as you say, what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. You could try disabling comb detect, which will cause ALL frames to have deinterlace applied, which I find helps some sources.
Lostless
Bright Spark User

Post by Lostless »

I know some 90s tv shows had some bad DVD transfers that had all sorts of interlacing issues. No matter what you do, the jumpy ness is there . The only example I have is family guy season one and two. It’s a known issue with this set Even when played back on a DVD player, the jumpy flickering happens in the same location when played back or ripped. It’s like they took the telecined interlaced source. Poorly deinterlaced that and then hard telecined that source.
Lostless
Bright Spark User

Post by Lostless »

Also what shows, knowing that can help with what deinterlacing Method to use. If it’s a 24 FPS hard telecined, you want to turn on detelecine as your deinterlace meathod. This sounds like your issue with the 24fps cadence going out of sync. 30fps shows like certain sitcoms don’t need any deiterlacing, so i doubt that’s your issue. The last is any 60fps shows. While rare, not impossible. That needs bob deinterlacing with a 60fps output.
Lostless
Bright Spark User

Post by Lostless »

Also what shows, knowing that can help with what deinterlacing Method to use. If it’s a 24 FPS hard telecined, you want to turn on detelecine as your deinterlace meathod. This sounds like your issue with the 24fps cadence going out of sync. 30fps shows like certain sitcoms don’t need any deiterlacing, so i doubt that’s your issue. The last is any 60fps shows. While rare, not impossible. That needs bob deinterlacing with a 60fps output.