Forcing "Encoder Profile: High" via GUI or Advanced Options for H.265?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
eric_hb

Forcing "Encoder Profile: High" via GUI or Advanced Options for H.265?

Post by eric_hb »

Description of problem or question:

Hello,

I would like to force an encode for H.265 to Profile: High and Level 4.1

1) I am able to select Level 4.1

2) I cannot select "High" from drop down for Profiles

3) I tried "encoder-profile" and "encoderprofile" in advanced options.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

I tried "encoder-profile" and "encoderprofile" in advanced options.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

1.3.3 (2020061300)

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 2004
OS build 19041.985
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Not Required for this issue
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Forcing "Encoder Profile: High" via GUI or Advanced Options for H.265?

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your HB logs, instructions can be found here:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html
Last edited by rollin_eng on Wed May 26, 2021 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

x265 does not support any "high" profile, https://x265.readthedocs.io/en/master/c ... level-tier , there is a high-tier options, but are you sure you really need it?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Do you want the 4:4:4 High Throughput profile for H.265? HB really isn't the software for 4:4:4 encoding.
eric_hb

Post by eric_hb »

[Ritsuka]

I was reading: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Efficiency_Video_Coding_tiers_and_levels#Tiers

and it seemed to indicate that under HEVC "main" restricted the bit rate and "high" opens the bit rate up a bit.

Since I am doing Constant Quality encoding, i thought the capability, when required, for a higher bitrate might allow for some scenes in a video to have higher quality without exceeding the Main profile bitrate... just conjecture of course.

PS: Thanks for the reply by the way... i was reading about the x265 profile command line options. I don't see a high option there.

I have to break out a 4k disc and see what Profile they are using right off the disc
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

You might be confusing it with the H.264 profiles.

x265 has got an high tier options, and might be what you are looking for. UHD Blu-ray are up to HEVC Main 10, High Tier, Level 5.1
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Code: Select all

high-tier=1
eric_hb

Post by eric_hb »

[Ritsuka]

The Wikipedia article is for HVEC H.265.

from the Wikipedia Page i referenced: "High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC), also known as H.265 and MPEG-H Part 2, is a video compression standard designed as part of the MPEG-H project as a successor to the widely used Advanced Video Coding (AVC, H.264, or MPEG-4 Part 10)"

But that doesn't mean i am interpreting the information correctly about the profiles :)
eric_hb

Post by eric_hb »

[Rodeo]

Thanks, I will have to try that... i have about 6 hours of encodes queued up right now or i would try it right away.
eric_hb

Post by eric_hb »

[Ritsuka]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Effi ... vels#Tiers
"The HEVC standard defines two tiers: Main and High.[1][2] The Main tier is a lower tier than the High tier.[1][2] The tiers were made to deal with applications that differ in terms of their maximum bit rate.[1] The Main tier was designed for most applications while the High tier was designed for very demanding applications.[1]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Effi ... els#Levels
"The HEVC standard defines thirteen levels.[1][2] A level is a set of constraints for a bitstream.[1][2] For levels below level 4 only the Main tier is allowed"

Of course, that doesn't mean they are implemented in ffmpeg or available in handbreak. I am am having difficulty finding much reference to this outside of the wikipedia article.
eric_hb

Post by eric_hb »

[Rodeo]

--high-tier, --no-high-tier

If --level-idc has been specified, –high-tier allows the support of high tier at that level. The encoder will first attempt to encode at the specified level, main tier first, turning on high tier only if necessary and available at that level. If your requested level does not support a High tier, high tier will not be supported. If –no-high-tier has been specified, then the encoder will attempt to encode only at the main tier.

Sounds like it only allows high tier if required the way i am reading that.
eric_hb

Post by eric_hb »

https://www.loc.gov/preservation/digita ... 0530.shtml

"As of November 2020, there are seven versions of the HEVC specification. Most of the updates have introduced new profiles"

Recommendation H.265 (11/19): https://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-H.265-201911-I/en

OK, so i guess the profiles encapsulate both tiers and levels in H.265.

I think it's a little complicated so i want to back out before i become a Scholar.

Thanks for the feedback... i guess will just use "Main" :)
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

The profiles don't encapsulate the levels. You can have any profile at an arbitrarily low or high level.

For each H.265 profile there is a Main tier and a High tier, which allows for higher bitrates.

There are also the High Throughput profiles, which allow bitrates of approximately an order of magnitude higher than the Main profiles (regardless of tier).
Deleted User 11865

eric_hb wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:28 pm [Rodeo]

--high-tier, --no-high-tier

If --level-idc has been specified, –high-tier allows the support of high tier at that level. The encoder will first attempt to encode at the specified level, main tier first, turning on high tier only if necessary and available at that level. If your requested level does not support a High tier, high tier will not be supported. If –no-high-tier has been specified, then the encoder will attempt to encode only at the main tier.

Sounds like it only allows high tier if required the way i am reading that.
If you use VBV values that require high-tier at the current level, then high-tier will be used (unless you specify high-tier=0 or no-high-tier=1). I guess you are correct in that there is no way to directly force the encoder to flag a bitstream as high-tier. It doesn't seem terribly important though.
Deleted User 11865

mduell wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:26 pm For each H.265 profile there is a Main tier and a High tier, which allows for higher bitrates.
Actually, HEVC tiers are linked to levels, not profiles, and some levels do not have a high tier.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

eric_hb wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:53 pm Since I am doing Constant Quality encoding, i thought the capability, when required, for a higher bitrate might allow for some scenes in a video to have higher quality without exceeding the Main profile bitrate... just conjecture of course.
Setting profile and level to "auto" will accomplish the above. The bitrate will be unthrottled and x265 will select the profile and level that is compatible with the resulting bitstream.

In fact, as far as I can see in the x265 source code, setting the profile to something specific does very little. It only invokes some error checking at the start of the encode to ensure that the bit depth and chroma subsampling is compatible. And it sets keyframes appropriately for single image profiles.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Also, FYI, explicitly setting high tier currently only sets the appropriate bit in the output file to indicate high tier. x265 does not currently use the information for any rate control processing.