Reduce/shrink file time of a in video camera stream

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
steveallen
New User

Reduce/shrink file time of a in video camera stream

Post by steveallen »

Hi everyone,
( sorry for my english... french native speaker...)

First , thanks to the handbrake developer-team for such nice tool, very helpfull and performant... I used it for more than 10 years... BIG THANKS!

Now my question:
While using big files of -- video camera streams -- saved... I am searching a solution of reducing/shrinking the file to automatiicaly keep only the frames where there is changes ( so frames where there is activity to watch! ).

-I was thinking that handbrake could be very helpful, since it has all the basic needs... but of course this would end with something else/ another piece of software wich could maybe be called: handshrink ?

When the images are all the same, then file size will be shrinked to 0 bytes! This is easy with a camera installed inside home...
But, it is more difficult on outside environment... wind... trees...sunshine... and so on...

So, in order to reduce/shrink the stream, somehow it would need to define some user-defined-parameters-rules like :

- Keep actual frame only if xx % pixels was different previous frames

and if possible have a smart way to cancel small changes ( like wind on foil trees...)

So, here is my dream... if anyone can tell me if such piece of software is already existing ? and/or if a developer team could work on this ?
I think this would be great and very useful and it could lead to many applications... it could be idealy also implemented directly on camera hardware to generate a very tiny stream containing only usefull sequences!

Does my dream can become true ?
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Reduce/shrink file time of a in video camera stream

Post by mduell »

You've basically described some aspects of how modern lossy encoding works, and it's also way more complicated than you're imagining.

Try the HQ preset for your content resolution and see how you feel about the result. Does it look OK? Is the new size what you wanted? Was the time acceptable? Post back here with your feedback and encoding log and we can provide more specific guidance.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

HandBrake will succeed at reducing file size, but it won't automatically trim out segments without motion. Not sure what software, if any, would do that for you.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Rodeo wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:46 pm HandBrake will succeed at reducing file size, but it won't automatically trim out segments without motion. Not sure what software, if any, would do that for you.
With generous bframes, the bitrate is going to be minimal.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

steveallen wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:03 pm While using big files of -- video camera streams -- saved... I am searching a solution of reducing/shrinking the file to automatiicaly keep only the frames where there is changes ( so frames where there is activity to watch! ).
That request is ambiguous enough to suggest the OP may want to have software do the work of skipping "discardable" content automatically (as opposed to just reducing file size).
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Sounds like the OP wants some kind of time lapse that you see on some security cameras. Thus you don’t have to watch an hour of video if nothing happens.