Help for old TV Series DVDs

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Jackf94

Help for old TV Series DVDs

Post by Jackf94 »

Description of problem or question:
I've just bought the complete series of Steptoe and Son. I encoded them to put on my Vero 4k. They play fine but on the right edge of the screen, it looks a bit like a barcode. I'm not at home at the moment and can't post any logs but will when I return. I'm wondering what the best settings are. I'm very confused between detelecine and deinterlace. Can I leave both on default?

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
If you are unable to do so, please state why so we can help you.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Help for old TV Series DVDs

Post by mduell »

Yes you can.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Since you did not provide a log, help beyond mduell answering your direct question is difficult. You MAY want to disable "comb detect", which will force handbrake to always apply your deinterlace filter. It will be a bit slower, but some sources have subtle interlace artifacts are missed when looking for "obvious" combing.
Jackf94

Post by Jackf94 »

Thanks, that sounds what I might need how do you disable comb detect?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

On the filters page, in the same place as the deinterlace filter settings. It defaults to checked in most presets for speed.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Just crop it off in the UI.
Jackf94

Post by Jackf94 »

Thanks. Can anyone explain to me in Lehman's terms what the difference is between detelecine and deinterlace. I've got a load more DVDs to get through. Just got the box sets of Buffy and angel I want to encode and would like advice on the best settings when it comes to that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

You could start with the Wikipedia explanation of telecine. Interlacing is part of that.

The primary thing with "detelecine" is correcting the frame rate correction, i.e., when film was captured at one frame rate, and broadcast at a different frame rate.
Jackf94

Post by Jackf94 »

Okay. Im just unsure which content would need which. How would and should you know when a certain dvd would need to be either deinterlaced or detelecined? I mostly rip blu rays so I rarely need this but I'm a fan of old sitcoms like Blackadder etc. They'd be the only DVDs I'd be buying. Just asking what setting would you have an old TV dvd on? I just want a set and forget setting for DVDs.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Well, posting the Required Activity Logs would certainly help us in advising you.
But digital noise along the right edge of your video sounds nothing like an interlace/telecine issue, because that only applies to the horizontal axis.
It is probably unfilled macroblocks in the recording, so just crop it off.
AlvinWilber

Post by AlvinWilber »

I also want to know about it. Thank you!