Use Handbreak to copy DVD from specific time

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Rivercoon

Use Handbreak to copy DVD from specific time

Post by Rivercoon »

Description of problem or question:

I have a DVD of home video I made several years ago. I am trying to convert it to MP4 for editing. One of the VOB files appears to have a an error in it. The DVD has 2.05.23 of footage but cuts off copying at 1.52.43 . I have heard Handbrake can be set to copy a DVD from a specific time but have not been able to find these controls. How do I set Handbrake to transcode the DVD a few seconds past this error and make the end of the DVD into a separate MP4 file?

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

1.3.3 (2020061300)

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Windows 10, OS build 19041.867

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
If you are unable to do so, please state why so we can help you.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Use Handbreak to copy DVD from specific time

Post by mduell »

HB's ability to start an encode at a specific time depends on HB's ability to get to that point in the video.

You'll need to use something intended for DVD ripping to get a clean copy, or a copy with the error portion removed.