Juggling subtitles

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
PeterCWorth
New User

Juggling subtitles

Post by PeterCWorth »

Description of problem or question:
I am following a favourite TV series (French) but the only version I have available seems to have been produced for Spanish speaking countries. Spanish subtitles appear sporadically and unpredictably (sometimes with additional English subtitles, sometimes without) and the English subtitles for French conversation (a lot of the show) are of atrocious quality, with many errors in person, gender and vocabulary, which are difficult to keep up with.

The question I am hoping someone can advise me on. I have located separate English subtitles for the series concerned. If I pass the videos through Handbrake, is there any way that I can remove existing subtitles prior to re-installing the (hopefully) better ones? If I simply install the new subtitles, I assume that I will end up with potentially three different sets of subtitles......!

Any advice or suggestions about this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

I've put one video episode into Handbrake to see what particulars are revealed, but I cannot see anything that helps me decide about the question above. I am inexperienced with Handbrake and could easily be missing something relevant.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
If you are unable to do so, please state why so we can help you.