Finding the right track to encode

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
pf_moore

Finding the right track to encode

Post by pf_moore »

Description of problem or question:
I have a number of Blu-Ray disks I've ripped using MakeMKV, which gives me a number of files, one for each track. Some of my disks result in multiple files, all basically the same length/size. There's nothing obvious I can see to determine which is the "main" video (short of watching them all and looking for what the difference is).

With DVDs, I can play the physical DVD in VLC, and query VLC to confirm which track gets played when I select the main feature. But I can't play Blu-Ray disks in VLC due to lack of decryption libraries. (I've seen some instructions on adding decryption to VLC, but I can't get it to work for me).

Is there a way of working out the correct track to encode, in the sense of "the one that I'd get if I selected play main feature from the disk menu"? Presumably the information is present, as VLC can use it, but is it in a form that other tools can use?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Finding the right track to encode

Post by Woodstock »

What is the correct play list [insert title here]?

Playing in VLC is one method, using the MakeMKV integration, but it isn't the most efficient. Searching for "lionsgate playlist obfuscation" can find a number of helpful videos and instructions, but some of the older ones won't work on newer disks.