What preset to use, if any?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
three_jee[s
New User

What preset to use, if any?

Post by three_jee[s »

Description of problem or question:

I've transferred some VHS tapes to DVDs. The format is standard DVDs with Video_TS and Audio_TS subdirectories and associated .vob files.
I want to transform the the DVDs to a format that I can play to HD TVs, such that are 1080p or 720p. No 4K TVs yet.
I am experimenting with Kodi which is basically a player that has a HDMI connection to the TVs. In the future, I may change to Plex which would change the architecure a bit, and the Plex server would have to transcode to various devices - most likely still 'dumb' TVs with a PLlex client interface.
So the basic question is, what format should I convert the DVDs to? mp4? or? What is the most 'universal' so to speak?
Thanks
J

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
If you are unable to do so, please state why so we can help you.