Job Queue with Pauses

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
minoush82

Job Queue with Pauses

Post by minoush82 »

Hello,

I would like to batch process a number of videos such that there is a fixed pause (e.g. 2 minutes) between a job and the next. What is a good way I can I achieve this? The main reason is to avoid raising my CPU temperature too much.

Thanks.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Job Queue with Pauses

Post by rollin_eng »

You could do this with the CLI.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

As suggested, you can insert sleep commands (Linux, Mac, BSD) between each line of your script.

But you should take care of your cooling issues, because the pauses won't stop any overheating on long encodes. If the temps stay below 70c, you should be fine anyway. Newer CPUs tolerate up to 90c without issue, but a lot of motherboards will slow down (or turn off) above 85c.
minoush82

Post by minoush82 »

Thank you.

@Woodstock: I was hoping I missed a option in the GUI that allows me to insert breaks. I guess calling HB in a script is the way to go. Also thanks for the warning; so far, the combination of my processing parameters and input characteristics do not put much stress on the CPU.

@rolling_eng: Does HB CLI allow me to pass an argument to specify the pauses? Or do you mean I use HB CLI from within a script?
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

No, it will need to be done from within a script.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

minoush82, setting a pause won't help with cooling problems. A fully loaded CPU will saturate, sometimes within second, if not a low number of minutes on marginal cooling so the pauses are indifferent. Going though heat and cool cycles may actually be worse for the processor as your putting a different kind of thermal stress on it.

That said, it's rare to see failures as thermal protection should kick in long before failure.

So ultimately, fixing cooling is the only solution here.
minoush82

Post by minoush82 »

Thanks everyone for the insightful comments :-)