Help With Handbrake Settings For Good Quality Output

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
smush

Help With Handbrake Settings For Good Quality Output

Post by smush »

Hi I’m somewhat of a beginner with Handbrake and struggle to work out the best options to select for my media. For example, I’m currently wanting to reduce the file sizes of a blu-ray series where each episode is currently 3gb without affecting the output quality too much.
The image here https://i.imgur.com/fbJpMBN.png shows what I have selected so far in the Video tab including the preset (not sure what I should pick here?). As for the audio, my source has 4 audio tracks but I’m only concerned with the 2 English audio tracks which are these - English DTS-HD MA 2.0 ch and English DTS 2.0 ch 1536kbps which do I pick and which codec should I use? Thanks
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Help With Handbrake Settings For Good Quality Output

Post by rollin_eng »

Just stick with the preset if you can.
smush

Post by smush »

rollin_eng wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:20 pm Just stick with the preset if you can.
Thanks. However the preset puts the FPS at 30 but I gather using "same as source" would be better which is why I selected that. It's the audio I'm most concerned about I want to ensure I select the best audio settings for the source.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Will you post your logs per the instructions at the top of main page?
https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html
smush

Post by smush »

musicvid wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:18 pm Will you post your logs per the instructions at the top of main page?
Can I ask what use is the log? I'm not experiencing a technical issue I'm asking for which audio settings to use for the output as my source has 4 audio tracks but I’m only concerned with the 2 English audio tracks which are these - English DTS-HD MA 2.0 ch and English DTS 2.0 ch 1536kbps which do I pick and which codec should I use?

Thanks
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your HB logs, instructions and reasons can be found here:

Deleted User 13735

Can I ask what use is the log? I'm not experiencing a technical issue I'm asking for which audio settings to use for the output as my source has 4 audio tracks but I’m only concerned with the 2 English audio tracks which are these - English DTS-HD MA 2.0 ch and English DTS 2.0 ch 1536kbps which do I pick and which codec should I use?
Are you asking me why the Handbrake moderators require logs for forum support? That is inappropriate, and I won't speak for them, although the reasons for the rule are apparent to me.

Or are you asking me personally why I asked for your logs? The answer to that is best summed up in one sentence: "Trust me, I'm a producer."
smush

Post by smush »

musicvid wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:43 pm
Are you asking me why the Handbrake moderators require logs for forum support? That is inappropriate, and I won't speak for them, although the reasons for the rule are apparent to me.

Or are you asking me personally why I asked for your logs? The answer to that is best summed up in one sentence: "Trust me, I'm a producer."
As requested here is the log https://pastebin.com/KxzrWStZ
Deleted User 13735

I would start with a Fast 1080p preset.
Change frame rate to Same as Source (24p)..
Set Audio to Auto Passthrough
Probably best to set a second AAC stereo audio track for fallback on generic playback devices.

That's why we ask for logs, whether or not you care to share your media title :|
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Still, we didn't answer all of his questions.

He should use the DTS-HD MA source track and forget about the second track (regular DTS).
Deleted User 13735

Of course, that's correct.
I assume that audio track #0 (DTS-MA) will be automatically selected by Handbrake, but it is certainly something worth checking.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

What output container are you choosing?
smush

Post by smush »

rollin_eng wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:47 am What output container are you choosing?
MKV. The presets make it MP4 but I thought MKV was the way to go as it's the file type I see most often. Would this be ok?
musicvid wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:21 pm I would start with a Fast 1080p preset.
Change frame rate to Same as Source (24p)..
Set Audio to Auto Passthrough
Probably best to set a second AAC stereo audio track for fallback on generic playback devices.

That's why we ask for logs, whether or not you care to share your media title :|
Thanks I'd like to ask a few questions based on your comment to allow me a better understanding of the process.
  • Why did you advise the Fast 1080p preset over HQ or Super HQ?
  • I did 2 encodes of the same episode 1 as Fast the other Super HQ, and it sounded as if the audio was more lively and louder in the the Super HQ encode is that possible or am I just imagining it?
  • For the same as source frame rate, do I leave the variable option selected or change to constant?
  • Why did you advise Auto Passthrough over DTS-HD Passthrough for the audio?
  • Will the audio be of good quality whether I'm watching on a high end home cinema kit or just a mobile device?
Thanks
Deleted User 13735

Those are suggestions based on a quick look at your logs. I work today, so I don't have time to address all the details.
Yes, you have other options. TIMTOWTDI

Others will undoubtedly have different suggestions based on their interpretation of your logs. Maybe better than mine.
I suggest you pay equal attention to other suggestions. Making your own informed choices comes with experience. Best of luck.
smush

Post by smush »

musicvid wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:41 pm Those are suggestions based on a quick look at your logs. I work today, so I don't have time to address all the details.
Yes, you have other options. TIMTOWTDI

Others will undoubtedly have different suggestions based on their interpretation of your logs. Maybe better than mine.
I suggest you pay equal attention to other suggestions. Making your own informed choices comes with experience. Best of luck.
Sorry but this is bugging me so I just have to ask. I did 2 encodes of the same episode 1 as Fast the other Super HQ, and it sounded as if the audio was more vibrant and lively in the the Super HQ encode despite using the exact same audio codecs (auto passthrough and AAC avcodec as a backup) is that possible or are my ears playing tricks on me?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Post the logs.
smush

Post by smush »

mduell wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:37 amPost the logs.
HQ https://pastebin.com/T691Y4CY
Super HQ https://pastebin.com/18rRH7YK
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Assuming your playback device is choosing the same audio track for playback, then it's just your imagination.
Deleted User 11865

To elaborate, here are the output audio tracks:

Code: Select all

[23:50:22] mux: track 1, 126377 frames, 288577256 bytes, 1712.55 kbps, fifo 4096
[23:50:22] mux: track 2, 63189 frames, 26985878 bytes, 160.15 kbps, fifo 2048

[01:38:58] mux: track 1, 126377 frames, 288577256 bytes, 1712.55 kbps, fifo 4096
[01:38:58] mux: track 2, 63189 frames, 26985878 bytes, 160.15 kbps, fifo 2048
The audio tracks are identical down to the byte count for both encodes.
smush

Post by smush »

mduell wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:00 pm Assuming your playback device is choosing the same audio track for playback, then it's just your imagination.
Thanks.
Rodeo wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:10 pm To elaborate, here are the output audio tracks:

[23:50:22] mux: track 1, 126377 frames, 288577256 bytes, 1712.55 kbps, fifo 4096
[23:50:22] mux: track 2, 63189 frames, 26985878 bytes, 160.15 kbps, fifo 2048

[01:38:58] mux: track 1, 126377 frames, 288577256 bytes, 1712.55 kbps, fifo 4096
[01:38:58] mux: track 2, 63189 frames, 26985878 bytes, 160.15 kbps, fifo 2048
The audio tracks are identical down to the byte count for both encodes.
Thanks. Is there a difference between using the auto pass through and the DTS-HD passthrough audio codec settings given the original source audio is DTS-HD MA 2.0ch?
Deleted User 11865

Auto Passthru is just a multi-codec passthru with checkboxes; provided the DTS-HD checkbox is ticked and the source track is DTS-HD, then Auto Passthru and DTS-HD Passthru will behave exactly the same.
smush

Post by smush »

Rodeo wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:44 am Auto Passthru is just a multi-codec passthru with checkboxes; provided the DTS-HD checkbox is ticked and the source track is DTS-HD, then Auto Passthru and DTS-HD Passthru will behave exactly the same.
Ok thanks. I'm not sure what what DTS-HD checkbox you are referring to though. On the audio section of HandBrake there are no such checkboxes at least not in the Windows version of the software. https://i.imgur.com/hNDZapB.png

Also, now that I know mux is the audio, I've looked back at the logs and above mux: track 1 there is a mux: track 0 and which isn't the same value in both log files.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Track 0 is your video track.

Click on the selection behaviour button.
smush

Post by smush »

rollin_eng wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:47 pm Track 0 is your video track.

Click on the selection behaviour button.
Oh right I see now. Thanks :)