Auto passthru audio

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
luckywales

Auto passthru audio

Post by luckywales »

Description of problem or question:

I want to create a preset where all audio is simply passed through (thru). How do you do this for a preset? When I go to create a preset and I select Audio, I have options to add languages so I do "Any". For Codec, I select "Auto Passthru" but then it needs a bitrate value, defaulting to 160, and a Mixdown selection (e.g. stereo). How do I select "whatever the bit rate is for the source"...meaning just pass it [Censored] through???
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Auto passthru audio

Post by Woodstock »

Depending on your destination file container, only certain audio codecs can be "passed through". If you chose a track that cannot be used in the container you want, it will be converted using your fall-back audio encoder.

If we had some logs to show what you're doing now, we could point you in a direction to get this right...
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

The audio controls on the behaviour screen relate to the "fallback" encoder, should the passthrough option you select turn out not to be possible.

There is no way to guarantee passthru. If you select auto-passthru, it'll passthru if
a) the output container supports it.
b) the source format, is one of the supported formats that we support passthrough on.

If those conditions are not met, the fallback encoder is used with whatever parameters are set, or the track is dropped if you have no fallback encoder.
luckywales

Post by luckywales »

Guys - thank you for responding. Here's what I'm working with:

I have selected matroska x265 1080p30 as my chosen video format/container, with rf set at 20. The source file is series 3 of billions that I ripped. The source audio track is E-AC3 5.1.

After selected that matroska format/container, I click "add" under presets. These were my selections:
Dimensions: "Always use Source"
Audio - I click "Selection Behavior" and then working my way through the options, I selected:
- Track selection behavior "First matching selected language".
- Chosen language is (Any)
- "Auto Passthru Behavior" - all are selected with fall back encoder: None.
- Audio encoder settings for each chosen track: Auto-passthru.
- "Use First Track as template" is selected for additional tracks.
I then clicked "Apply" and that takes me back to my "Add Preset" screen. I clicked Add, and sure enough I see my shiny new preset.

I then opened the source folder, and they all "loaded" into handbrake successfully. I selected the first Title, and then clicked the preset. The video options were corrected attributed to the title, but the audio track throws in the AAC codec at 160kbps, instead of the auto passthru which I put in that preset. I can manually change it to auto passthru...defeating the purpose of creating my codec which is so that I can add all the titles in a batch with all auto pass thru...

What am I doing wrong here? What additional info would you need to assist?
luckywales

Post by luckywales »

Got it. Apparently, instead of selecting "First matching selected language", I should have chosen "All matching selected languages".

Then it all worked. It's crazy that this is not more intuitive.

Thank you again guys.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Then it all worked. It's crazy that this is not more intuitive.
Taken with the limitations already described, what specifically would you do to make it less "crazy?"