Ignore PIP from bluray folder

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
youreunwelcome

Ignore PIP from bluray folder

Post by youreunwelcome »

I'm attempting to encode some TV episodes (TOS, if anyone is curious) that have a picture-in-picture special feature video track. I'd like to be able encode these without the picture-in-picture info because it takes up more than a quarter of the screen while its up, but I cant get rid of it. I've tried to remux using tsmuxer but i lose the second "angle" that I'd like to preserve. I assumed that I had it when i tried pulling the episode with makemkv and the output didn't display the PIP image, but when run through Handbrake (to reduce file size significantly) it's there again.

Has anyone encountered something like this? Is there a setting that I'm missing that allows you to ignore the PIP track, or something that can be done to remove it without losing the second angle video stream? Really any help would be appreciated.

I'm using the GUI on Ubuntu and encoding with CLI in Ubuntu as well, if that becomes important.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Ignore PIP from bluray folder

Post by Woodstock »

The "PIP" on ST:TOS is actual a subtitle track, and not part of the video when you start. If your output format is MP4, though, and you selected that track as your subtitles of choice, they were burned in to the video track. MP4 cannot handle PGS subtitles as "selectable".

If you obtained handbrake from the ubuntu repository, there are other potential problems you'll encounter.

This is where logs tell us what you actually told handbrake to do.
youreunwelcome

Post by youreunwelcome »

I have been working on this problem for more than a month, and have spent literally dozens of hours searching and hundreds of hours encoding again and again trying to figure this out. Not once did i see it mentioned that it could have been a subtitle stream. Turning off the burned in subtitle entry solved the issue, and they are now select-able and no longer forced.

For reference I was using MKV H264, and due to my encoding workflow the logs weren't available.

Thank you for solving the issue, especially since i had just about accepted the fact that it was impossible.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Glad to be of service.

Unless your workflow involves just the Command Line Interface, logs are generated by every encode, and saved for 30 days, or until manually deleted.

My workflow involves ripping all audio and subtitle tracks with MakeMKV, playing the MKV in VLC to determine which tracks I want and don't want, then handing the MKV file to handbrake for processing. The PIP track is kind of obvious in that workflow.

If you're using handbrake's Foreign Audio Scan for subtitles, it will almost always find the PIP track, due to its algorithm.
youreunwelcome

Post by youreunwelcome »

I rip with AnyDVD then have Handbrake read the resulting folder. I select the stuff I need in Handbrake and create a queue that's then distributed to a number of dedicated encoding machines that run only the CLI. I couldn't find the logs on any of the dedicated encoding machines.

If i had looked at the MKV that makemkv created more closely i would have seen the subtitle tracks, but I'm not sure that I would have put the two together without actually turning on the right subtitle track at the right time. BDinfo listed the items as a 480p secondary video track, and that's what I was looking for.

I do leave the foreign audio scan on, as until now its never caused me any issues. I'll have to keep that in mind if i have issues in the future.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

To save logs from the CLI, add "2>\PathTo\Log.txt" at the end of the command line. If you're using batch files, you COULD put it at the end of the command to start the batch file. That directs stderr to a file, for lurkers who haven't seen it before, because the CLI sends the log to stderr.

FAS will pick subtitle tracks that have 10% or fewer individual subtitles than the "full" tracks. It works well generally, but... sometimes disk authors like to screw with our brains.

The machine I use for encoding also happens to be the one with the most drives installed for MakeMKV, so it gets a work out. I built a new one with more cores, but it's doing other things, so...
youreunwelcome

Post by youreunwelcome »

I'm not sure the disk author is intentionally being malicious, half the time different disks in a set (for series) aren't even named the same, and have differing playlist structures even though ostensibly they should be identical. It's hard to assume malicious intent when laziness/stupidity/incompetence explains it just as well.

I picked up a 24C / 48T machine a year or so back but Handbrake can only really max out about 12 of the threads at a time. So I split it into 3 12 vCPU VMs (along with many other smaller VMs for miscellaneous tasks) for faster encoding. I've got another identical machine that I plan on spinning up when I've dealt with the cooling issue of having that much compute in a closet.
musicvid
Veteran User

Post by musicvid »

Nice call, @Woodstock!