Anyone feeling the Holiday Spirit??

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
frawg

Anyone feeling the Holiday Spirit??

Post by frawg »

Description of problem or question: I need help from someone who is patient and kind and will "speak" slowly with small words so that I will have a chance of pulling this off with some success. :wink: I have 10 DVDs that contain my grandmother's 8mm "movies" from the 60's. They were transferred by a service (that no longer exists) about ten years ago to a "VIDEO_TS" format. I can get HandBrake to run and convert it to MP4 (I'm assuming that's best choice? - (I'd like to be able to cut and paste clips and add music afterwards...). I'm just wondering what all the settings should be at?? There are sooo many! If I can "improve" the quality at all from their present state, I'd like to - but at the very least, I'd like to maintain what I've got. Anyone want to try to help? Please? - Thank you.... :D

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0): 1.3.0 (i think)

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update): Windows 10

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
If you are unable to do so, please state why so we can help you.
musicvid
Veteran User

Re: Anyone feeling the Holiday Spirit??

Post by musicvid »

You will need a nonlinear video editor to do that; Handbrake is just an encoder.
Examples include Vegas Movie Studio Platinum, Adobe Premiere Elements, and Apple iMovie. Davinci Resolve is free, but it has a steeper learning curve.
frawg

Post by frawg »

:( --- but I could encode to MP4 first? so they are playable...? thx
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Encoding to MP4 so they can be played is separate from editing them to add the music and such. For that, you want to start as close to the source as possible, encoding as the last thing.

Distribute the unedited (but converted) MP4s right now, then take your time editing for the "final version".
Lostless
Regular User

Post by Lostless »

since you can't just import dvd footage to a NLE, you can use handbrake to convert to a format that can be edited, but you want to use a pretty high quality setting to retain as much quality as you can for editing. Try the 480P Hq setting and push the quality setting to 16 or lower. Itll probably give you a pretty large output size, but itll be fine for editing for the most part.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Use the Production presets, which are intended for editing workflows.