New to compression

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
LampyMcMuffin

New to compression

Post by LampyMcMuffin »

I compressed a 4k movie last night and the file size dropped from 73.7gb to 6.7gb. I am just wondering if that is normal/ok? I viewed both files and could not see a huge difference. The movie does have HDR but I know Handbrake wasn't able to handle that through some research I did (please correct me if I'm wrong) so I wonder if that is the cause of the difference. For the compression I used the Matroska 2160p60 (RF:24, Crop to 3840x1608) preset since I didn't want to mess with tuning it myself. I do understand that each video file is different but I was just wondering if you all had experienced such a large reduction in file size and if the quality looked the same to you afterwards.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: New to compression

Post by mduell »

If it looks fine to you, what are you concerned about?
Silent_Strider
Enlightened

Post by Silent_Strider »

Animated movies usually compress much better (whereas - of course - upscaled BluRay movies don't compress this well)
LampyMcMuffin

Post by LampyMcMuffin »

mduell wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:27 pm If it looks fine to you, what are you concerned about?
The compression rate seemed extreme is all. Since I'm new to this I didn't know if it was normal. Turns out I didn't select TrueHD passthrough and doing it with that enabled gets me to about 10gb which is a bit less extreme
Silent_Strider wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:31 pm Animated movies usually compress much better (whereas - of course - upscaled BluRay movies don't compress this well)
It is actually the new 4k UHD release of Lord of the Rings. It is only part one of The Fellowship of the Ring extended cut so technically the entire 4-ish hour movie will come out to around 20gb since I now have TrueHD passthrough enabled. But that still means the entire series (3 extended cut movies with 2 parts each) will likely come out to around 60-80gb total; which is around the size of only one part with out the compression. I just did not think it would make that big of a difference with so little detail lost but I am happy about it.
Lostless
Bright Spark User

Post by Lostless »

What you are seeing is quite normal. Blueray/UHD uses an insane bit rate that isn't that efficient. And that not a bad thing cause the quality is kept very good. They have the storage on the disc, so studios pretty much use the best quality with minimal compression.
Handbrake has a different method. Its to keep quality, with maximum compression. It will try and throw out as much data as it can, scene by scene. It is capable of very good quality, but depending on the settings, you may notice its not as clean as the original disc. It all depends how much motion and static images are in a film. Motion requires more data while static requires very little. But if you can't see the difference, handbrake is doing its job.
Its very common for me to have 20gig blurays to compress down to a couple of gigs. I do notice the minor quality loss sometimes, but it's not a deal breaker.
So in the end, don't worry about file sizes. If the end result looks good and is acceptable to you, then enjoy the smaller files.