How to Increase Frame Width and Height from a youtube Download

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Kyioto

How to Increase Frame Width and Height from a youtube Download

Post by Kyioto »

Description of problem or question:

Hi,

I was just looking at downloading a few youtube videos with alternative software and then using Handbrake
to remaster them to a better quality. IE web standard to pc to home entertainment standard. So for example
one web standard format would be 320 W X 240 height. I would like to increase the size to original 640 W X 480
Is there a way to do this with handbrake. I know i've played with the Anamaphoric section in the Dimensions tab
but even a custom setting wont let me increase the width. I can increase the width by adjusting the par but then I
can't increase the height So I was wondering if remastering to 640 X 480 with handbrake was possible or perhaps
remastering the quality to widescreen?

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

N/A

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

1.3.3 (2020061300)

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

No Transcode code available to assist since this is a setup quesiton
[/co
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: How to Increase Frame Width and Height from a youtube Download

Post by Woodstock »

The GUI will not allow you to upscale video. You have to do that with the command line version.

Why, you might ask? Because upscaling isn't something handbrake is designed to do. Once the video is shrunk, upscaling just gives you REALLY BIG PIXELS.
Last edited by Woodstock on Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

You can't improve quality with another generation of lossy encoding. Can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear, according to one member here.

The CLI will upscale but the GUI will not since it's generally driven by misconceptions like this.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Did I hear a request for the house intro?
https://youtu.be/L2F9-4IvdvE