How to down-rate 60p to 25p?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
piula

How to down-rate 60p to 25p?

Post by piula »

I have a video which has been "upframed" (how do you call that?) from 25p to 60p. There hasn't been any frame interpolation, only simple frame repetition. So the picture sequence is AABBBCCDDDEEFFFGGHHH...

I want to get rid of the redundant frames by using "--cfr --rate 25". I'd assume handbrake using each 2nd, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd... frame for the output video.

The problem is that imho this can lead either to a correct or to a wrong result, depending on whether the algorithm starts in a 2-frame-block or in a 3-frame-block:

AABBBCCDDDEEFFFGGHHH --> correct ABCDEFGH
AABBBCCDDDEEFFFGGHHH --> wrong BBDDFFHH

So there is a 1:4 chance for getting a wrong picture sequence in the output file.

Does handbrake detect this situation or is there some other advice for ensuring that the proper frames are taken?
mduell
Veteran User

Re: How to down-rate 60p to 25p?

Post by mduell »

HB doesn't detect it. Try it with HB to see if it does what you want.

If it doesn't, you'll probably need to use ffmpeg or avisynth for more control over the frame selection.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Content deleted -- wrong answer.
Last edited by Deleted User 13735 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

He's dealing with frame duplicated content, not native 60p content.
Deleted User 13735

Sorry for not reading carefully.

Here is a recent example of Handbrake getting it correctly with its "dumb" drop/dupe behavior. Specify "Constant" with your new frame rate. Either it works or it doesn't.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=40524&p=192488&hili ... pe#p192488
If it doesn't work, VirtualDub will definitely do the trick with its available filters.
piula

Post by piula »

Ok, thanks for helping me. I'll have a look at VirtualDub then.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

HandBrake does dumb frame duplication but it also does feature basic frame similarity analysis for "smart" frame dropping. When it works, it works, but indeed, there's no guarantees it will.
Deleted User 13735

by Rodeo » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:28 pm
HandBrake does dumb frame duplication but it also does feature basic frame similarity analysis for "smart" frame dropping. When it works, it works, but indeed, there's no guarantees it will.
Thanks for that, @Rodeo, I didn't know about that feature.
I suggest you try it in Handbrake first, as that is the simplest.

Here are the original Donald Graft VirtualDub filters, going back to ca. 2002.
http://rationalqm.us/mine.html#virtualdub
There are doubtless many newer VDub filters available, but you need to hunt around, maybe Videohelp has a compendium.