AAC 640kbps

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Idro

AAC 640kbps

Post by Idro »

Hi guys i have a problem with HandBrake. Before it, I used xmedia recode but now i'd like to use HandBrake but I need to convert the audio track to AAC/640kbps but this option is missing from handbrake. How can I convert my audio at this frequency?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: AAC 640kbps

Post by Woodstock »

It would be MUCH simpler to make wild-ass guesses at what your issue is if we had activity logs to show us what your source is, what version handbrake you're using, and what operating system you're on.

Are you looking to get 640kbps per channel? Or overall 640kbps for a multi-channel track?
Idro

Post by Idro »

Hi and thanks for the answer.
The point I dont understand is which bitrate I have to choose when i use handbrake. I have many movies and I have to re-encode the audio from several codec (AC3/E-AC3 with 6 channels) to AAC(dual-channels). The original bitrate is 640 kbps but with 6 channels so I dont understand which bitrate I have to select in the case where I have only 2 channels.

Version: latest version of handbrake, OS: Windows 10
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

It would depend mostly on your space needs. For encoding 6 ch AC3 to 2 ch AAC (there is no exact formula), I have worked at 192 Kbps (speech) to 320 Kbps (my own concerts) with success for over a decade. 256 Kbps is a very good high quality general starting point for me. Hope this gets you started.

Going forward, encode logs are required for support requests.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

640kbps is a bitrate; the frequency would be 44kHz or 48kHz or something.
Idro

Post by Idro »

musicvid wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:45 pm It would depend mostly on your space needs. For encoding 6 ch AC3 to 2 ch AAC (there is no exact formula), I have worked at 192 Kbps (speech) to 320 Kbps (my own concerts) with success for over a decade. 256 Kbps is a very good high quality general starting point for me. Hope this gets you started.

Going forward, encode logs are required for support requests.
Ok thanks this was what I was looking for. I will try with 320kbps from now :)