Keep source dimensions by default

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
wiss

Keep source dimensions by default

Post by wiss »

Description of problem or question:

In some videos the dimensions and the crop are automatically changed

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Windows 10 version 2004

Hello everybody. I have a question regarding the dimensions of a video that I'm attempting to process. It happens that in some occasions the program automatically changes the dimensions of a video file. While it is easy to manually restore the original size for a single video file, it is not practical to do so when working with a batch made by dozens or hundreds of videos.

When I need to restore the original size of a video, I simply change the width/height back to their original values, and I set all crop values to zero. In the following screenshot I show which fields I change in this case.

Is there any way to prevent Handbrake to change the dimensions of the video by default, so I don't need to perform the process that I mentioned before and showed in the screenshot?

Thanks!
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Keep source dimensions by default

Post by Woodstock »

Depending on the preset you select, there might be maximum dimensions set. For example, if the preset has "1080" in the name, the output will have a maximum of 1080 pixels high, while "480" would limit it to 480 pixels high.

If the preset does not have a maximum resolution included, it won't change your size. When you create a new preset, you are asked if you want to include video size settings, just say no.

However, autocrop is on by default, and THAT can change maximum sizes, as it attempts to eliminate letterboxing. I do not remember if you can disable that in a preset... have not tried.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Needs a log.
wiss

Post by wiss »

Thanks for the replies

It turns out that I created a new preset without autocrop, and it works exactly as intended, so this issue is solved for me.

Thanks!