Slowest x264/5 encoder speed worth using

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
YaBoyShredderson

Slowest x264/5 encoder speed worth using

Post by YaBoyShredderson »

My goals are to get a transparent encode, at around 35-40% the size on average. I have a 55inch tv, sit about 8-10feet away, and have a pair of sharp eyes. My settings so far have done me well with this, but i wanna know if its a bit overkill.

I use x264 high profile, level 4.1, film tune, and the veryslow preset, 1 notch above placebo. Thats the most important settings, but if a source doesnt compress well i will denoise with nlmeans ultralight film (not "transparent" but hey ho).

With these settings i get what i want, but it can take a while, though not so long i wouldnt be willing to wait if i meaningfully benefited. Between 8 and maybe 16 fps depending.

Is veryslow tangibly better than the faster presets? Also, if possible could u give me numbers? I dont expect a full in depth study or anything, but from ur own experience, tell me that "so and so speed is 1-2% smaller at the same quality, but takes 10x longer" or something like that.

Im only just starting to grasp the complexity of video encoding so i have been posting a lot here recently.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Slowest x264/5 encoder speed worth using

Post by rollin_eng »

If you are using constant quality your encodes will vary in size.

The encoder presets can also vary depending on source, there is no fixed rule.

Sometimes you will save space for given quality, sometimes you will get a better quality for a given bitrate.

Just go with the slowest you can tolerate and let the encoder do its thing.