Interlacing and telecine on blurays

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
YaBoyShredderson

Interlacing and telecine on blurays

Post by YaBoyShredderson »

With my custom preset that i saved, and use to compress bluray rips, i leave deinterlace and detelecine off. I bought the peaky blinders s1-5 boxset on bluray on the back it says 1080i and in media info it says MBAFF with a frame rate of 25fps.

How do i know if its a native 25fps or if it has been telecined? And what do i in handbrake to correct it as well as the scan type.

Thanks.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: Interlacing and telecine on blurays

Post by JohnAStebbins »

25fps video won't be NTSC telecined, which is what HandBrake's detelecine filter is for. It sounds like it's interlaced HD. You'll be able to tell by watching a moving object closely in the video and look for combing.
YaBoyShredderson

Post by YaBoyShredderson »

Its PAL which is 25fps, so i thought it may still have a telecine pulldown. 25:1 i think, but i believe its native 25 fps.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

How do i know if its a native 25fps or if it has been telecined?
You will know when you specify "Constant Frame Rate" and "Same as Source."
Then, you should get silky smooth, pristine 25p as it was shot, not as it was adulterated for BluRay delivery standards.
That is assuming it is soft telecined, which I'm pretty sure yours is. You would see ugly scan lines if it was older hard-telecine.
I see many people making this mistake, and they are missing out on the original movie quality, big time. Asking the question shows you are thinking correctly and proactively.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Here is a representation of a disc that was encoded Same as Source. Note the smooth motion.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JjG6B ... zPwZxI7O1Z

Here's an example of what it would look like encoded Same as Disc. Note the sucky motion (that's a technical term).
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CTRZx ... Vw2vyz-VqM

Certain scenes, like the flyover at the beginning of Avatar look really annoying, and just wrong.