Dropping from 60p to 30p with Handbrake

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
glenpinn

Re: Dropping from 60p to 30p with Handbrake

Post by glenpinn »

Yes the Handbrake one is jerky, it jerks from one frame to the next, but even if those 2 GoPro files were shot at 30p rather than 60p they would not have been that jerky, i know that from experience when using this camera at various framerates in panning scenes.

@ musicvid your output had a couple of jerky bits, not as bad as the Handbrake one, the rest of the video just had this Shimmering effect as if it was jerky but in very fast motion, so it tended to blur the image as the camera was panning, sometimes more difficult to watch than looking at the jerkiness in the Handbrake output.

As far as naming my Alternate software that does drop the framerate with very smooth playback, you should already know what that is, because i was criticized 3 months ago by you in another Topic that i ran in this forum for naming that editing software, when all i had done was to advise that this software/editing tool that i was using was not able to convert my 4k/50p HEVC MPEG-TS (10bit 422) files to AVC after i had edited the file in their timeline, i had to use Handbrake to recode them to AVC (which it does beautifully) and then import to the other editing tool for trimming out and adding titles prior to smart rendering them.

That Software has now updated to a 64bit version which now allows me to convert my 4k/60p HEVC GoPro files to 4k/60p AVC without errors (LargeBufferMalloc no more memory) and i will continue to use it with my GoPro files now because i can edit the files, create titles and then output to AVC all in one go.

However, i am still unable to use that editing tool to convert my 4k/50p HEVC MPEG-TS (10bit 422) files to AVC, so i need to use Handbrake to convert those to AVC before i edit them and smart render back to AVC using the other editing tool.

I will shoot you a PM shortly, although i thought you told me in the other topic that you don't do PM's ?

Cheers
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

The goal of this forum is to help each other use HandBrake and sometimes other softwares can help with that. So to be clear, it's usually okay to mention another software you're using in conjunction with HandBrake. Many other softwares such as VideoReDo, OBS, MakeMKV, and others are occasionally mentioned and this is fine, as long as you're looking for or providing help in good faith and not explicitly advertising or promoting on the forum.

Support for other softwares is better provided by those parties, of course. This is after all, a support forum for HandBrake. The point is, simply *mentioning* another software in the normal course of support isn't something we actively prohibit or punish here.

Anyway, I've expressed this to glenpinn directly and some others previously, and I hope it provides some clarity. Apologies if we haven't been clear enough in the past. Cheers all.
glenpinn

Post by glenpinn »

Thank you Sir, so my Alternate editing tool is VRD Pro, it handles editing and conversions of 90% of the files that i work with, one exception to mind are those 4k/50p HEVC MPEG-TS files which they are still working on.

Handbrake has always been my Go To alternative for converting my files to my required output format prior to doing the cutting and smart rendering in VRD Pro.

I just get lost with some of the settings required, guess i am spoilt by VRD doing most of that work for me.

Cheers
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Glenn, I avoid discussions involving either providing material support, judgment, or critical comparisons of other software as much as possible, but it is not a policy statement. This is my personal sign of respect for both Handbrake's dedicated forum space, other users here, and the "other" software's developers, who are not here to defend themselves. I see that I also removed two comments from that discussion, because in my own words, they "sounded like an advertisement."

Conflating those comments to somehow include this discussion is a clear indication that we are not in the same zone, and unknowingly, probably never have been. You can be assured that my confusion over agendas will never happen again, and I have taken steps to prevent any further occurence, despite my spotty memory.

That said, your comments have prompted me to test frame rate conversion in VideoRedo, my favorite paid muxing software, again something I have not done previously.

And thanks especially to @BradleyS, who has matured as a fair and inclusive moderator in these discussions, setting a good example for both new and seasoned contributors when we venture towards the edge of civility and credibility.

Sincerely, Straw Man.
glenpinn

Post by glenpinn »

I understand your comments, and i agree with you, which is why i contacted the Moderator just to clarify my position in regards to VRD, and he seemed fine with what i was trying to do, especially in my topic from 3 months ago.

I never criticize any software especially in an online forum such as this one, nor would i criticize Handbrake or other editing tools in any other forum, my point here was to simply seek guidance as to why Handbrake was giving me the jerky output, and it was not until i tried other editing tools that i realized this was not just isolated to Handbrake.

VRD Pro is a wonderful editing tool, it just lacked support for 64bit encoding up until very recently, that has changed now and we are now able to use it on the very files that i have been discussing here in this Topic, but it still seems to have an issue for me with processing those 4k/50 HEVC MPEG-TS broadcast files after editing them, hence why i created the other Topic 3 months ago dedicated to that particular issue, which Handbrake does seem to manage very well.

In the end it's all good, but i shall shoot you a PM regarding you testing with VRD.

Cheers