Auto crop or no cropping

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
YaBoyShredderson

Auto crop or no cropping

Post by YaBoyShredderson »

I was doing testing in handbrake to compare different settings, so i can save it as a preset to compress my blurays. I used mkv tool nix to create many different 100mb files which i took at random and encoded, and have found the best settings for my use case and hardware.

I left auto crop on, i didnt even think about it, but i noticed on some of the clips, which were between 30 to 60 seconds average, some of the image itself was cropped off, not just the black bars. These were just small clips, not full movies/episodes, so it may not be a problem when i actually encode them, but for peace of mind, i turned auto crop off, leaving the full 1920x1080 frame.

Is this a good idea? How much will this affect quality, file size, and encode time? Does this problem even exist for full movies/episodes?
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Auto crop or no cropping

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your HB logs, instructions can be found here:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html
YaBoyShredderson

Log for what specifically? The offending test encode?
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Yes
YaBoyShredderson

Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

In the particular video, the 10 samples that were checked by the auto cropping code had what the code thought was a black bar on the left. It cropped that out. This can happen when sources use different aspect ratios for different scenes.

Sometimes, more samples can help find a "better crop". Other times, it is better to shut auto cropping off completely.
YaBoyShredderson

Ok, as long as it has little if any effect on the final encode, size, quality etc. Im just gonna leave it off. Thanks.
YaBoyShredderson

And with gotham, its a full 1920x1080 frame, 16 by 9. Thats why i was confused as to what it was cropping.