Question regarding CRF

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Myrthian

Question regarding CRF

Post by Myrthian »

In Handbrake's own documentation and on other sites I've read that smaller CRF = higher quality.

If that's true then I'm currently puzzled as to why on https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.3.0/work ... ality.html the recommended settings each use increasingly higher CRF values = lower quality.
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Question regarding CRF

Post by s55 »

In short, if you start with a higher resolution, higher quality source, you can get away with a bit more compression.

When your dealing with lower resolution, low quality sources you typically can't be as aggressive with the quality slider.
Myrthian

Post by Myrthian »

s55 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:21 pm In short, if you start with a higher resolution, higher quality source, you can get away with a bit more compression.

When your dealing with lower resolution, low quality sources you typically can't be as aggressive with the quality slider.
Thanks: in my mind that was the only available explanation.

An explanation of that kind should also be on that particular documentation site to make it clear that depending on the quality of the source one can be lenient with CRF values.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

The section in that article on display sizes and viewing distance attempts to address this issue. Any time a video is enlarged to fill a display, imperfections are magnified, hence the need for higher quality encodes in such situations, as Scott also notes here.

I'm open to more clarification on the matter. Curious whether you missed reading that part or read it and found it confusing? Thanks.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

97.3% of all human readers will never get it.