Will future Handbrake versions perform better with Ryzen CPUs?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
T-buch

Will future Handbrake versions perform better with Ryzen CPUs?

Post by T-buch »

Intel encodes(NB software) better than Ryzen, even though that the Ryzen in almost every other disciplinses beats the Intel CPUs
(possibly because INTELS CPUs have some techniques called AVX and OpenCL - I'm not sure)

But will the the difference be less over time when we see future updates from Handbrake?

Data eg.
Passmark CPU-Mark:
Intel Core i7-9700K = 14,729
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X = 18,259

Eurogamer.net (Handbrake HEVC):
Intel Core i7-9700K = 13.1 FPS
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X = 11.8 FPS
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Will future Handbrake versions perform better with Ryzen CPUs?

Post by mduell »

Unlikely, since AMD haven't introduced anything new Intel didn't already have as far as AVX (in fact I think they're still behind AVX512).

The synthetic passmark benchmark you cherry picked may include a different mix of integer and floating point, different memory usage profile, or may be less optimized overall.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Your missing the fact that
a) The 9700K is an 8 Core CPU vs 3600x's 6 Core.
b) The 9700K is a fair bit more expensive. In what I would call a different price category.
c) synthetic tests often don't match reality.

So yes, while a 9700K is faster than a 3600X, it's NOT faster than say a 3800X (which is still cheaper than a 9700K)

Finally:
- HandBrake and its libraries don't use OpenCL on any platform.
- HandBrake and its libraries DO use AVX on all platforms.
- We are not expecting any major changes in software to improve performance going forward. These encoders are already mature and optimised for both already.
T-buch

Post by T-buch »

"C" (Passmark ) is one thing i disagree - it might also shows the future potential (mostly in gaming (yawn) ) for the CPU
All other things (a & B) I agree and already knew ;) But the one thing which matter in this context is that the two CPUs are very similar in performance despite of price and cores
You can find a lot of programs (not gaming, and handbrake encoding etc) where 3600X performs better than or like the 9700K - Cinebench R20 1T , Cinebench R20 MT (almost the same) 7-Zip, Google Chrome (the same or better), WPrime

But that is another discussion - So I just like to thank you - now that I know, that the encoders are "already optimised". ;)