Video lags audio

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
swp

Video lags audio

Post by swp »

Description of problem or question:
Trying to convert from avi to mp4, but the video does not keep up with the audio on playback.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
HandBrake version 1.3.1

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Windows10 Pro for Workstations

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)
https://pastebin.com/3znXFzWZ
Deleted User 13735

Re: Video lags audio

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

It's a known issue that has never been resolved.
The lead interval is exactly 42 ms.
Here's the test I ran in 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhsiQfE ... e=youtu.be
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

It's a known issue that has never been resolved.
It is? Can you point me to a github issue regarding the "problem"? I periodically run blip-flash tests to check such things.

I just re-ran the test. It's a TS file with mp3 audio. I'm encoding using libav aac encoder.. The flash and blip are perfectly in sync to the limits of my eyes and ears.
swp

Post by swp »

I think I may have just discovered the real problem. My converted videos have been opening by default in Windows Media Player. When I play it there the title screen doesn't change until the audio track is finished. I encounter the same exact problem in Windows Video Editor when I try to combine several converted videos. I didn't occur to me that two different programs would have the same bug when trying to play the videos so I assumed it was a HandBrake issue. However, I just tried to open the same converted video in QuickTime there are no issues and it plays in sync.