Translation Subtitles

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
osiris384

Translation Subtitles

Post by osiris384 »

Hey.

Just after a bit of advice.
My issue is i have 2 series Game of Thrones and Star Trek Discovery, I have encoded them for my own personal use and own all the relivent discs, both series require a bit of translations. But unlike most series that have a dedicated subtitle track that i can burn in when encoding these 2 do not theres just 1 English subtitle track. When I used Kodi it was smart enough to flip it on and off when needed only but plex will not.

So my question is there a way that i can extract only the translation bits and re-encode it with it burned in. I've tried looking online but its hard to search when i'm not even sure of what would be needed

Thank you all in advanced
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Translation Subtitles

Post by Woodstock »

IF the "foreign language" subtitles are properly FLAGGED as "forced", handbrake can pick them out. But I have only seen a handful of commercial titles that make proper use of the "forced" flag.

If it truly is a single subtitle track, you're going to have to use a subtitle editor to remove the ones you don't want.
osiris384

Post by osiris384 »

Ah is that what the foreign audio default selection is then??

I always remove this and add English only.
If i have to do it manually is there a good program to extract and allow this change
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Try the "Foreign Audio Search" subtitle track with the "Forced Only" box checked.
osiris384

Post by osiris384 »

Right had a play with the settings you said. Foreign audio search did nothing but if i changed that to English and forced and burned in worked perfectly.
The only annoyance first line of subtitles it says "speaks in Klingon" but i guess thats the issue with the subtitles them selves and not Handbrake.

Thank you for your help and i've learned a new feature of this program