Original Source Bitrate and 2 Pass Encoding

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
centuryx476

Original Source Bitrate and 2 Pass Encoding

Post by centuryx476 »

Hello,
I have written an application that uses handbrake CLI for automating encoding.
When it comes to DVD encoding I am very careful about reducing the quality in anyway due to DVD not being very good quality in the first place.
The application I wrote does this automatically, just grabs the sources bitrate and passes it as a value to the .json preset which also does 2-Pass encoding and off handbrake goes.

Question: If I set the bitrate in the preset to the same exact bitrate as the original source file will the quality be the same as the source ?
The reason I am doing this is because I need to convert the codecs of the DVD files to a more friendly format. But I do not want to lose quality on the video.

Thank You
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Original Source Bitrate and 2 Pass Encoding

Post by rollin_eng »

No.

This is not a good way to preserve quality. You should use CQ mode of encoding.

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.3.0/tech ... s-abr.html
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

The source bitrate has nothing to do with your output bitrate, since it was done with a different encoder, settings, and set of constraints and priorities in mind. Use a quality target to avoid losing quality.
centuryx476

Post by centuryx476 »

Right,
I was about to post yesterday but when I click "Submit" the websites cert expired...
Anyway,
I'll continue my testing
Thank you all for the advise...