Batch conversion, but need to re-edit each file due to subtitle PGS format

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Les

Batch conversion, but need to re-edit each file due to subtitle PGS format

Post by Les »

Description of problem or question:

Expectation: When I do a batch encode, I expect all the parameters I set to apply to every file.

Reality: If I want subtitles, but do not want them to be Burned In, and they are in English [PGS] format, I have to edit all files individually.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

My input contains English [PGS] subtitles, and I'm producing MKV output. I want to retain those subtitles, but not have them burned in. So I turn off the "Burned In" tick.

After Adding All Titles to Queue, I check them in the queue. Contrary to my instructions, I find the subtitles are actually to be "Burned In" for all the titles. So the turned off "Burned In" setting was ignored. I then have to re-edit each title, one at a time, to turn off the "Burned In" tick mark before adding each back to the queue.

This works, but it kinda defeats the purpose of the whole batch processing idea if I still have to (re)edit each title anyway.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Mac Catalina 10.15.2

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Not a problem requiring a log.

Code: Select all

Not a code bug
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Batch conversion, but need to re-edit each file due to subtitle PGS format

Post by mduell »

Huh. If only we had any idea what was goin on.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

If problems require a log to solve, and your problem doesn't require a log, is it really a problem?

And, since subtitle selection during "batch add" is tied to the SAVED PRESET, rather than the modified-in-memory version, if you would export that preset and post it, it would help.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Adjust subtitle settings in the Selection Behavior dialog and then save a new preset fir batch encoding.