downmix to dolby 5.1

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
rcrh

downmix to dolby 5.1

Post by rcrh »

Description of problem or question:
my audio system doesn't handle DTS so I downmix my audio to Dolby Digital 5.1. If I have a choice of DTS7.1 HD-MA or DTS5.1 should I start with the master audio and let handbrake drop the two extra channels?

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
n/a

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Windows 10 Creators Update

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)
n/a

I've been using the MA-HD audio even though it has extra tracks.
Thanks for any guidance anyone has.

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: downmix to dolby 5.1

Post by Woodstock »

Doesn't really matter - the source is the lossy core of the DTS HD-MA either way.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Woodstock wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:59 pm Doesn't really matter - the source is the lossy core of the DTS HD-MA either way.
The nightly build can decode the HD extensions, however.
spiritofjerry

Post by spiritofjerry »

Hello Rodeo, has the ability to decode the HD extension been released in an official build? I have seen older posts saying that Handbrake cannot decode DTS-HD MA tracks, and it uses only the core for audio encodes. Is that still true?
Deleted User 11865

Yes, pretty sure 1.3 and later now have DTS-HD decode support; possibly even earlier (1.2.x) but not sure.
spiritofjerry

Post by spiritofjerry »

Hi Rodeo, thanks. Do you know which decoder Handbrake uses to read the DTS-HD MA tracks to make the resulting encodes (i.e. AAC)?
Deleted User 11865

libavcodec