Converting to AVI and Black Border aspect ratio

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
The Welder
New User

Converting to AVI and Black Border aspect ratio

Post by The Welder »

Can you convert to AVI files...:

With HandBrake v1.2.2 is it possible to get it to output .avi files? I know it used to be an option, but doesn't seem to be possible anymore. Yes, yes, I know .avi is just a wrapper for a video format, but that's not the point. I have a device that for some reason that doesn't make sense to me, goes mental when you give it an mp4 file, but if you wrapped that mp4 in an avi, it's completely happy with it. So, it is possible or am I going to have to wrap it myself?

This is a completely separate question and I'm only asking it here because, well, I thought I'd combine the two.

I have a video that someone has stripped off the top and bottom black borders. They decided they also wanted to keep the screen width too, so they modified the aspect ratio, so that things are stretched vertically. Can Handbrake do anything about this for me, or am I going to need to properly load it into a video editor and fix it? What about ffmpeg, can I get it to add black borders and fix the aspect ratio?
BradleyS

Re: Converting to AVI and Black Border aspect ratio

Post by BradleyS »

AVI is a no go.

The latter you can fix by setting anamorphic to custom and inputting the proper values.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Converting to AVI and Black Border aspect ratio

Post by Woodstock »

Some devices that "must" have AVI can be fooled by simply changing the extension to .avi. I have a TV that won't play MKV files unless the extension is .avi, and then they play fine.